Friday, March 24, 2023

BLUE SKIES, NOTHING BUT BLUE SKIES...




Sometimes traveling can discombobulate me.  Recently I spent five days in Southern California for a calligraphy conference. While there, I rented a car, a dark grey Honda Civic, at the airport. Hondas are common in California. I got to the car, opened the door with the clicker on the key fob, inserted the key, turned on the car, drove out of the lot thinking that I had checked all the boxes for renting a car, and paused to look at the beauty of the rugged San Gabriel Mountains in the distance. I drove to Cal Poly Pomona and parked my car and went to sign in for my classes.

At the end of the day, as the sun went down, I drove to a local shopping center and parked the car. As I walked towards Target, another Honda Civic drove by me and turned to park near my rental. I went into Target, made some purchases, had a quick dinner at a local eatery, went back to where I thought I had parked, opened the trunk of the Honda, put my bags and purse in the trunk, closed the lid, tried to open the driver's door with the clicker on the key fob. Nothing happened. I tried to open the trunk. Again nothing happened. I looked at the key fob in confusion and discovered that the license plate number on the fob didn't match the license plate on the car. It was too dark for me to see inside the car to verify that the Honda was my rental. I thought, "Wrong car. Could I really have put my purse and purchases into someone else's trunk?"

 I decided that I must have parked in a different lane or maybe I had opened the other Honda that looked just like my rental. But no, the other Honda parked in the same row also had a different license plate from the key fob. I recently read that Honda Civics are top of the list of stolen cars which made me wonder if my car had been stolen. So, whose Honda was this that now contained my purse and bags?


"A Small Bottle of Perrier" by M. Slavin

I walked around the parking lot trying to get a car to respond to the clicker on the fob. No response. I waited and waited by the car that wouldn't open, thinking that someone was shopping and would return so I could get my stuff out of the trunk. No luck. 

When I called the rental car office numbers, all I heard was a recorded voice giving me their office hours, which were long past closing. Finally getting a little desperate and cold, I called the police. They responded but couldn't do anything with the car. One of the officers walked over to Target to see if the car owner could be identified. No luck in the store. As the officer came back, I remembered that I had a bottle of water in the cupholder of my rental. I asked the officer to shine his flashlight into the car. Tucked into the cup holder was a bottle of Perrier, which made it obvious: this was my rental car. The officer used the key, not the clicker, on the key fob to open the driver's door. I groaned with relief, took a deep breath, and shook my head. The officer tried very hard not to laugh. In the end, I didn't get hurt, my car wasn't stolen, and the police were helpful. All of this occurred just because of a dead battery in the key fob and two license plate numbers that didn't match. 

It's okay to have a good laugh at this story. I did when it was over.

My sage advice coming from this travel tale:  when you rent a car, check that the license plate number matches the one on the key fob and that the key fob has a new battery. Otherwise, dark clouds could ruin your day.




17 comments:

  1. Hi. Good rental car story. One time I rented a car in Seattle. Went to my appointment and on the way to the elevator after the meeting to return to Sea-Tac my keys came out of my pocket and found their way through the gap in the elevator door all the way 9 stories down to the bottom of the shaft. Feeling incredibly stupid I went to the building manager office to explain what happened. In a gift from God above the elevator repair man was in the office on another matter and rescued my keys and I made my flight back to Oakland. Those rental car mishaps stay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. You are so lucky to get your keys back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Letty by email: So darn funny. I've told several people about your dead battery fob story. They sighed and laughed.
    Hope you are having some sunny days. We have a warm day or two followed by gray clouds and rains. It's a vicious cycle in the springtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Letty, this story reminds me of the story you posted on your blog Literally Letty.

      Delete
  4. From Mary by email: You made me laugh all over again.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had a good laugh. It was funny afterwards!!!

      Delete
  5. From Toni by email: That experience would have totally freaked me out. Kudos to you for keeping your cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni, it was one of those adventures I won't forget any time soon.

      Delete
  6. From MP by email: I'm glad it had a happy ending, but I think I would have been in tears!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears came afterwards, that's for sure. Well, a little eye-rolling too.

      Delete
  7. From CT by email: Oh my gosh!

    Thank you for sharing! An important lesson for all of us.

    I am so very sorry that happened to you but grateful the police came to your rescue.

    You are brave and methodical. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out all right in the end, but what an experience!

      Delete
  8. From Sara on FB: I always enjoy your Postcards in the Air, Martha! I had a similar but not as dramatic an experience with a rental car in Florida. I had picked it up in Tampa and driven to Sarasota where the key fob battery died. The rental car company wanted me to drive back to Tampa (over an hour each way) for them to replace the battery. Ha! How was I going to do that when I couldn't get in the car.? Instead I walked a mile to each way (a very pleasant walk) to a store to buy a new battery. At least I didn't have the fear that I had the wrong car. I love your stories. Keep up the good work and Happy Spring!


    ReplyDelete
  9. From KS on FB: Oh my gosh this sounds like something that would happen to me! Glad you got help and all turned out ok! From AW on FB: but in a Target parking lot in LA this could be truly unnerving. From JB on FB: I did almost the same thing in Atlanta. Darn matching cars!! From BD on FB: What a great story! So happy it had a happy ending🤗 it is funny how easy it is to create your own adventure out of a perfectly normal day. From LD on FB: I would give those rental people a piece of my mind for that dead battery! I’m glad you could tell us the story, though. Is that a “cautionary tale?” From RK on FB: Good writing but scary story. I would have been frightened. You are brave! From EV on FB: nother nightmare with technique. I was told 3 weeks ago that those car key batteries don't last very long! Normally! I had to change mine after just 9 months...this never happened with the old system. Never thought of rentals. Something else to worry about now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all of you who posted comments on Facebook. I appreciate your reading my blog and hearing your stories about rental cars.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.