Friday, March 10, 2023

A CHANCE FOR SPRING


Yesterday, we looked at each other and hollered at the rain:  "Enough already!" Even we rain-starved, California drought sufferers had reached our limit. We've had more than average rainfall, with 10 more feet of new snow in the Sierras (where most of our water comes from) after the latest set of storms. We know there are more storms to come before March is over and we head into flood season, and then dry season before our next, we stand with fingers crossed waiting for the wet season that starts in late November.

Today, we forgot our hollering because we walked out the door and discovered Spring is here. The deep cerulean blue sky, wispy clouds, and warm sun on our shoulders led us down the street for our first walk after a rainy week. In California, we have a burst of early Spring in February with the daffodils competing with the Winter poinsettias and primroses still in bloom. The daffodils lift their heads to be pummeled by the rains, but that doesn't stop them from rising each year.


My Winsor Newton travel paintbox


Today as we walked, we saw California Spring with everything in bloom all at once. Azaleas, camellias, flowering trees, and lavender have burst out in their splendor while the roses and dormant trees, still in their winter-dead look a week ago, have sprouted leaves curling open against the craggy bark of their branches.




Today as we walked, my thoughts went back to Japan and its more disciplined seasons: first camellias, then azaleas and rhododendrons, then flowering cherry trees, iris, hydrangeas, and finally chrysanthemums to welcome the fall season before the leaves change. Each flowering variety showcases itself with masses of color but makes way for another variety as the seasons change.




Spring reminds me that I can't resist writing another tribute to what I love about Spring. I love Spring season's fresh yellow-green. I love the reawakening of trees and shrubs. I love the birds scurrying around and swooping from one tree to the next. I love the blue skies and still chilly weather. I love the promise and hope that Spring offers. 


It is time for me to go for a walk and bring my traveling paintbox to paint a palette of Spring hues.

What do you do to celebrate this change of seasons?



9 comments:

  1. From Mary by email: I always love Spring for all the same reasons as you. The rains clear the air and make things fresher. The bulbs and blooms bring new hope and anticipation for the the sunny season ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Cheryl by email: We too celebrate flowers and trees blooming as the first sign of Spring.

    And Spring gives us hope of new life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Jane on FB: I am so envious of your blue skies, we are still wrapped in rain and cold temps. But hoping we've seen the worst of the weather for the year!

    Like
    We have had a couple of days of beautiful blue skies and then the rains come again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Linda on FB: es, I’ve had it with this rain! More coming next week…! So far, I don’t see any bright sunny days soon, maybe on Sunday, but…?

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Bonnie from FB: I love your thoughts about the arrival of spring♥️ I hope the rain has stopped for a while so you can be out and about. Enjoy those beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie, we all need a little sunshine, don't we?

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.