Friday, December 31, 2021

WISHES






 Under the platform that had supported the Robert E. Lee statue in Virginia, excavators found a cornerstone box filled with books and other papers, many with pages stuck together, memorabilia of the times, and a Confederate flag. The historians examining the contents of the box had hoped to find an original photo of Lincoln in his coffin. No photo came to the surface. The box contents were a whisper of the past indicating what people wanted the future to know about their moment in time.




I have what seems a time capsule of my own containing papers and other items from my parents. I keep thinking I've gone through it all, only to discover, nestled within other papers, something that draws my attention. This time it is a pamphlet from 1968 with Abraham Lincoln on the cover. In the top right-hand corner, my father's name appears in my mother's careful handwriting. The pamphlet came from Congressman Glen Lipscom, their representative at the time. The pamphlet smells musty and the paper is yellowed. It contains the Republican Platform for 1968, with the inscription, "We must think anew and act anew," a quote from Lincoln. If you are familiar with history, you will know that 1968 was a turbulent time, much like now, with protests over the war in Vietnam, the loss of the US Pueblo, the killings of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, the election of Nixon to the Presidency, and also, Apollo orbiting the moon.

I turned the pages of the pamphlet and found a list of inspirational proposals adopted by the Republican Convention that year. As I read the list, I was struck by how much the GOP has strayed from these intentions. During the last Presidential election, the GOP did not offer a platform of purposes and goals as a party. Trump declared his own.

In 1968, the GOP proclaimed:

We must urgently dedicate our efforts towards restoration of peace both at home and abroad.

We must bring about a national commitment to rebuild our urban and rural areas.

We must enable family farm enterprise to participate fully in the nation's prosperity.

We must bring about quality education for all.

We must assure every individual an opportunity for satisfying and rewarding employment.

We must attack the root causes of poverty and eradicate racism, hatred, and violence.

We must give all citizens the opportunity to influence and shape the events of our time.

We must give increasing attention to the views of the young and recognize their key role in our present as well as the future.

We must mobilize the resources, talents, and energy of public and private sectors, to reach these goals, utilizing the unique strength and initiative of state and local governments.

We must re-establish fiscal responsibility and put an end to increases in the cost of living.

These are lofty, worthwhile goals. They ring true today, with many of the issues mentioned still in question. Wouldn't it be wonderful if, in 2022, we look again at our purpose as a people/country, whether as a Republican, Democrat, or Independent and set aside our cynicism, fear, and hyper-individualism to come together to agree that these kinds of common goals are beneficial for all of us? And then work together to bring about the changes we need?

I would add one more goal: we must protect the freedom of the press, and guard against the distribution of falsehoods and disinformation.

2022 will be an important year for all of us. 

We will have big decisions to make at the ballot box. 




I am not a numbers person, but I thought these numbers were important to consider:

Population of the World:  about 7,846,000,000 people
Number of COVID-19 Deaths in the U.S.: about 822,000 people
Number of COVID-19 Deaths Worldwide: about 5,400,000 people
Number of HIV-AIDS Deaths Worldwide in the last 40 years: about 36,000,000 people

After 40 years there is still no HIV-AIDS vaccine, but the research done on that disease enabled scientists to build on their knowledge and produce a vaccine for COVID-19 in record time.

Bravo to these exceptional scientists. 
Remember where we were at this time last year!




Thank you all for reading Postcards in the Air in 2021! 
Your comments, thoughts and ideas keep me writing.














12 comments:

  1. The 1968 Republican Party platform gave me chills. They have fled far from their principles indeed.

    Thank you for another year of inspiring posts.
    All the best for 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To PatK: Thank you so much for continuing to read my blog posts. I am delighted when I hear from readers. The 1968 Republican Platform was an eye-opener, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Connie Anderson by email: Thanks for all your posts, Martha. So thoughtful.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, what a treat to hear from you. I hope you are still as creative as ever. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  4. From Rick Paulus by email: Oh, that 1968 Republican platform. How wonderful it would be!
    Thank you for this wonderful year-end post, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rick. I appreciate hearing from you. Have a good, creative new year!

      Delete
  5. From CT by email: I love the proposals made by the GOP in 1968 and your comments at the end. Why don’t you send this to your local Congressman to send up the chain? Or to the San Francisco Examiner to print on their editorial page? I think it would spark a lot of conversation and interest.

    We will continue to vote to make a difference. Just afraid of how the Republicans are making it so hard to vote in many states so they can take control again.

    Wishing you two a WONDERFUL New Year filled with good health and FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CT, for your comments, as always. Good idea about sending the platform on to our reps & the newspapers too.

      Delete
  6. From Mary by email: It’s quite amazing when you read about the goals of the Republican Party from 50 years back. Wow, what has happened since then is criminal.
    Enjoy the last day of 2021. I’m going to sew, why don’t you paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary, for reading my blog each week. I was taken aback when I read the platform. What a change now.
      I've been making greeting cards today out of leftover Christmas paper -- getting a little ahead!
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. From Tena by email: I love the republican platform. It would be a good starting place for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do too. It made me stop and think what we are missing today.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.