Friday, December 17, 2021

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS



Do you remember when so many people stepped out onto balconies to sing or clap for essential workers? That grateful emotion seems fleeting. Have you noticed how many people right now are filled with anger, unspecific anger that pops up with the slightest irritation? Do you watch cars swerve in and out of traffic, pulling up close to you or cutting you off? Have people around you forgotten how to say "Excuse me" as they push past you? We see lots of pent-up anger around us. That phrase about life giving you lemons has never been more perfect an expression than in the last couple of years. We're all carrying bags of lemons around. Now we need to figure out what to do with them.

Here's my story:

My workroom faces the street. I see the same walkers go by my window every day. We have a small Meyer lemon tree in our front yard. Two days ago, I watched a man who I have seen walking often, stop, look at our lemon tree, walk over and twist off a lemon, then go off on his merry way.

That's all it took for me to get angry at him for not asking, for being one of those neighbors who could easily pay for a lemon at the store and who helped himself without asking. (In my defense, we usually take a bag of lemons to the Food Bank each year.)

So, yesterday I charged out of the house, and with Bill's help, picked every lemon off the tree. Until we started picking, I didn't realize how many lemons we had. The photo shows the line-up, but the bag next to me on the wall is also full of lemons.

I could have found the grace to give that guy one lemon. COVID times.



We all have those moments in our lives when we come up short. I hope you don't have too many of them and can find the grace to be considerate of someone else in the next weeks. And also, to find some grace for yourself. 

There are lots of good ways to use lemons.

Here are two:

Luscious Lemon Squares (from Ketschmer-brand Wheat Germ)  makes 40 squares

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Lightly spray bottom of 13x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray

Crust

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup toasted Wheat Germ

1/2 powdered sugar

1/3 cup butter, softened

Filling

2 cups granulated sugar

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

4 eggs

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1 3/4 teaspoons lemon peel

Powdered sugar

Combine crust ingredients in large bowl. Mix on low speed of electric mixer until well blended. (Mixture will be crumbly.) Firmly press crumbs onto bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes.

For filling: Combine sugar, flour, and baking powder in large bowl. Add eggs; blend well. Gently stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Carefully pour over hot crust. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are light golden brown and filling is set. Cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into squares.


Or for something savory to keep you warm:

Linguini with Meyer Lemon  (from Sloat Gardens recipes)

Take 1 small shallot, chop and saute till translucent. Set aside.

1 pound linguini

3 Meyer lemons, zest and juice

4 oz of creme fraiche

3/4 cups grated hard cheese (Parmesan, Romano, Asiago)

1 bunch arugula, cleaned, with the largest stems removed

2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped

10-12 fresh basil leaves, chopped

Salt and Pepper

Cook pasta in boiling lightly salted water. Save a cup of the water when you strain the pasta. Fold all ingredients including the pasta and shallot into the pot. Add some of the reserved water to create the consistency you like. Season with salt and pepper and top with additional cheese.




May the next few weeks fill you with grace.

8 comments:

  1. From CT by email: Yes, we are all tired of COVID, the ways it keeps changing, and keeping us from FUN.

    Within in the last two weeks we turned down two parties as there were going to be more than 6-8 people there. MISSED FUN.

    I complained to a dear friend. Then the news hits with cases rising reminding us to continue to wear our masks, get vaccinated AND boosted, limit crowds, and make sure those you meet with are vaccinated too.
    I felt better after I complained to her. Sometimes you just have to get your feelings out. It was like you and Bill picking all the lemons from your tree.

    We have decided to stay at home on Christmas Eve, and instead of keeping our dinner reservation, we are going to pick up our meals and bring them home.

    On Wednesday as I drove to Milpitas to visit my Brother a car on my right pulled in front of me then accelerated into the fast lane. It was awful because there was just ONE car length between me and the car in front of me jeopardizing all of us in their silly decision. Thank God there was not an accident. It happened so quickly I did not have time to honk.

    We will FINALLY use our FREE APPLE TV subscription and watch movies in our MATCHING Christmas Pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for adding your tales of stressing out! I love the matching Christmas pajamas!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Martha. This lemon story resonated with me. We planted a Meyer lemon tree recently and cancelled our Christmas plans. We hope that you and your family have a peaceful and restful holiday season. Sara and Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Sara, Thank you for leaving a note on this post. I'm glad that this COVID story touched you.
    Meyer lemons are really the best lemon. I hope you will have an abundance.
    We have also canceled Christmas plans and are hunkering down once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your recipe 🙏 and your wisdom and grace. These are challenging times, your fan!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.