Friday, January 3, 2020

ONE GOOD THING



New doors to open, new paths to follow, new traditions to find. 2020. As my eye doctor said, there will be many jokes this year about 20/20. 2020 will also be a good year for reflection and choosing to do one good thing.

When we lived in Tokyo, I adopted the tradition of new year clean-up. The truth though: I am still cleaning up from last year. The value of cleaning up still sticks with me even though the spaces I clear get cluttered almost as fast as I tidy them up. 

Just as this serene image of the boulder and calm waters lets my mind wander through the stillness, I know that after I take the decorations down, I clear my desk of leftover projects, and I sort through closets the emptiness remaining will open new space to think and create.





So today I'm trying to pack away, throw away, give away anything I can. I resisted for today the urge to start on a new project. I write down the idea so that I can come back to it later, and remember to take one step at a time. I think about the phrases I have adopted as a yearly theme: Joy, Home, Layers, Time, Just Say Yes, and Letting Go. I begin to feel the wiggle of a phrase that has poked at me in the last couple of days. "Don't make anyone else's life more difficult." Something to remember as I choose and consider my own actions throughout the year. Something I wish the leaders of our country will consider too.




2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Martha! Here's to much creativity in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. I agree. Being open to creativity makes a good year.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.