Friday, January 24, 2020

CHILD'S PLAY


Supplies for a fun day of play

January. Have you been scurrying around like me since the holidays? I'm trying to find normal, but I've put too much on my calendar anticipating the lull after December. The lull never arrived. Instead, I'm shaking my head at my lack of attention to doing One Thing At A Time.

I'm taking a day off from my calendar today to give myself time to play. Since Valentine's Day comes soon, I thought I would make some easy Valentine's. I've collected these supplies:

heart-shaped paper doilies, card stock, and blank postcards
washi tape, scraps of paper, ribbon
waterproof fine line marking pens, stamps
watercolors and colored pencils
Altoid box
Glue

The easiest Valentine to make:



This Valentine is still hanging over Bill's office door


In a packet of paper doilies, some of the doilies stick together. Don't separate them. You want a cardstock-weight doily for each heart.

Fold the larger heart. Crease only two inches from the top. Cut along the crease. It is better to make a short cut. You can always cut a longer one.
Fold the smaller heart and crease from the bottom. Cut along the crease.




Slide the smaller doily down the cut on the larger doily.
Attach a ribbon through the holes of the larger heart.

Voila! You have a Valentine's card.



Postcards with Love

I had a lot of washi paper left over from other projects. This card is a great way to use up scraps. Paper doesn't need to be washi but chose papers with similar patterns or colors.






Cut the papers to fit the outside edges of the card stock or postcards you are using.
Before you glue, test your layers so that you get a mix that you like.
Glue the first sheet down.
The next sheet needs to be about 1/4 inch smaller. Glue that down. And don't obsess over measurements.
Continue adding layers until you are happy with the card.
Cut out a center heart from one of the doilies (just one layer of doily this time).
Use your marking pen to write your favorite love word.
As you write, extend the spaces between each letter. (Practice this type of writing before you do your final version.)




An even easier version: You could also use washi tape cut to fit the card and then attach doily hearts on top.






Love Book










You will need a sheet of Bristol paper or watercolor paper cut to 10 inches by 2 inches.
Starting at the right side of the paper, use your fine line-marking pen and doodle across the page. Starting at the right instead of the left will loosen you up. Try to make loops that are heart-shaped (or add hearts later). Color inside the loops with colored pencil or watercolor.



On the other side of the paper, write all the words that you can think of that mean love to you. Use the extended spacing between letters of each word to stretch out your words across the page.



Fold the paper in half and make accordion folds. Tie your little book with string.



Cover the outside of the Altoid box with paper or washi tape. Cover the inside lid and inside bottom with paper. Place your Love Book and some heart-shaped candies in the box.




Altoid box covered in washi paper

Love Book sits inside Altoid tin box

Have fun. A good way to play!

Good art supplies:
https://etchrlab.com has a package of 100 premium paper postcards
https://www.ooly.com/pages/meet-ooly  has gel pens, metallic colored pencils and other supplies that are just right for Valentine's Day


2 comments:

  1. These are so nifty and sweet. I hope I find time to make some cards this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.