Friday, September 6, 2019

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME




"Ooooo, OW WOW...... ehhhh"

photo by Bill Slavin


The sounds of a crowd in unison fill the grandstands as a baseball lifts in the air towards left field, farther and farther, until it curves back over the foul line. We all slump in disappointment.

We go to Oakland A's games. We sit on the opposing team's side because we buy tickets from a season ticket holder who finds it easier to sell the opposing team's seats. As we sit in the stands, we are surrounded by colors other than the green and gold of the A's. Bill, a true Giants fan, took a long time to like our team's colors. I gave up the Dodgers when I moved north, but there are a lot of diehard fans from other places who have moved to the Bay Area and brought their loyalty with them. Sometimes because the fans around me jeer and shout at every wrong move, I feel uncomfortable in the crowd.


photo by Bill Slavin

I just like to watch baseball and sometimes find myself jumping up to cheer the wrong team because they make a good play. Recently we were bundled in with St. Louis Cardinals fans, who are different than the raucous crowds of Yankee or Red Sox fans. They aren't there to heckle the players as they come away from the plate and return to the dugout, they take photos of the players in full swing or on the field, they cheer good plays, and banter with those of us who are part of the gold and green wave. Like me, the Cards fans just love the game of baseball. We all stand up together during the seventh inning stretch and sing,

"Take me out to the ballgame...."

The stands reverberates with the willing voices of thousands raised to sing that old tune, a curious tradition that continues and seems to fit with the slow pace of a baseball game. Unlike the agressive chant of "U.S.A" that I hear at other sporting events, this song brings opposing fans together as one.



photo by Bill Slavin

10 comments:

  1. My Dad loved baseball and your writing brought back fond memories of him. I love it when the fans on both sides are enthusiastic yet respectful. It is so disappointing to see how so many American sports fans have become completely, unacceptably disrespectful. We recently attended a Colorado Avalanche hockey game against a Canadian team. We were so embarrassed when the American fans started booing the Canadians as the came on to the ice at the beginning of the game. I shriveled in my seat and felt like leaving. Maybe there is something about baseball and tennis that makes for more polite fans. Perhaps it is the less violent aspect of the game. Who knows? Thanks for your writing, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you nailed it, Sara. The difference between games like baseball and tennis and other sports is the degree of violence. But I think we need to turn the mirror towards ourselves too. Our hyper'patriotism', our need to succeed and crush every other country instead of enjoying the athleticism of anyone, all reflect back on ourselves.

      Thank you for your kind words about my blog, as always.

      Delete
  2. From Mary by email: Your ballgame blog was so much fun to read. I felt myself in the crowd cheering. I loved Bill's pictures of the the fans and how my eye was drawn to the big guy in the gold shirt smack in the middle. It all made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I wondered if people would be drawn to that fan!

      Delete
  3. From Jane B from Facebook: I love going to baseball games and no matter what sport I'm watching, I always cheer for a great catch, hit, or touchdown run. I just like the sportsmanship. Great imagery in your words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, Jane. I'm glad you enjoy sports in the same way I do. I think it says a lot about you.

      Delete
  4. From PH on Facebook: Martha, your kindness comes through the internet with your beautiful art. I always feel calm overcoming me when I read your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to say. I truly appreciate that my posts mean so much.

      Delete
  5. From Dean by email: You understandsCardinal fans! They simply love baseball played well. Many times I’ve seen this is St Louis, more than once a standing ovation for a player from the opposing team, or even a great play. The franchise pushes the family thing, I’ve seen security threaten a fan with ejection for dropping the F bomb. Thank you for your great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.