Friday, August 30, 2019

ROCKS ARE HARD

Do you have a mantra that you say to yourself when something challenges you?

"I Can Do This" is my long time favorite saying. I used it to learn to ski and play golf. It comes in handy for creative activities too. I also remind myself of the 3 Ps, a mantra that we would recite to our son, "Remember the 3 Ps." There are a lot of good P-words: Patience, Participate, Persistence, Preparation, Practice, Pause, Powerful, and Peaceful to name a few. I could use all of them.

The last week of World Watercolor Month I thought I'd try painting rocks, something that has flummoxed me before. Rocks are hard, no pun intended, to paint so that they don't look like a bunch of potatoes. I tried once more and came up with a similar result. I found a good answer at a Julie Gilbert Pollard workshop put on by the California Watercolor Association. I finally succeeded painting rocks. I also realized that rocks are hard to paint, but water is even harder.



I did glean a few tips about rocks and water.

Even though rocks may be smooth in real life, I need to give them some angularity.



Splatter creates texture and the splash of water against rocks. Learning to splatter effectively is hard.


You can see how connecting the splatters around the center circle can create the allusion of water splashes.


The edge of a rock against water needs to be darker because it is wet.



And just like anything I paint, I need to think in shapes, not about what the object is in real life. I need to look at the object in relation to its neighbors. One of the exercises directed us to paint the values in the painting, not the objects themselves.

Squinting at this will help you see the different values.


Another showed me how to use DuraLar Wet Media film to test colors in parts of the painting



Reminding myself that I can do this and thinking of the 3 Ps, helped me to step back, take a deep breath, do preliminary work, practice before my final version, persist and go slowly.



Do you have a mantra that works for you?




 Check out workshops with Julie Gilbert Pollard at:  https://www.juliegilbertpollard.com

Read about Dura-lar Film here:
https://www.grafixarts.com/products/dura-lar-film/
available through Dick Blicks
https://www.dickblick.com

6 comments:

  1. I use (especially the first two sentences of) “Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.”
    from Thich Nhat Hanh, Being Peace. It has worked for me in many difficult, anxious situations. Your watercolours are gorgeous, Martha. I admire your talent and Persistence, Perseverance, Practice, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your version of breathe work via Thich Nhat Hanh. He has made such an impact on the world, hasn't he. And thank you for comments about my watercolors. I'm working on it! I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful watercolors! My "mantra' when I'm facing tough situations is similar to yours--"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." That scripture really helps me to push through. --iamchandralynn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chandra, Thank you for sharing your personal mantra that helps you through difficult times and energizes you.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work, Martha! Your persistence and patience is always an inspiration. My mantra is the simplest, but somehow the cadence of the three words soothe and invigorate me: Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like that one too. Don't give up is similar to I can do this. Thanks for reading my blog posts, Teresa!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.