Friday, February 10, 2023

MIND AND SOUL


See the Light

Inside the covers of a book, I can find another soul who has let me see their thinking, their creativity, and their questions about life. While Bill and I de-clutter our house, we are going through our stacks of books to donate. Opening each one reminds us of the pleasure of reading its contents.

An artist's sketchbook, like a book, can be a good way to see into someone else's mind. Sketchbooks tend to be more fluid than a finished product. A sketchbook is full of starts and stops, trails and mess-ups, and scribbles that explain what the artist is trying to do. That's why in a museum, I search for artists' sketches and linger over them while I may whip through the rooms with their famous pieces.


An A to Z accordion book, one of my favorite themes to use

Using a sketchbook to put thoughts on paper is a fun way to express myself in art and writing. I've learned various versions of artists' books and know how to make accordion books, flag books, books with cutouts to see to the next page, books with pockets and envelopes, and a book from a single piece of paper.


An accordion book with single objects drawn on lines that run through the book





A Flag book page with leaves glued to each flag. Each flag is attached to an accordion fold. Pulling the string at the end will make the page open and close.



A circle cut out of the book cover to show what is on the next page


A star fortune book with pockets for fortunes or booklets


A simple book out of one piece of paper gives me a way to expand a Valentine's Day card. Making a book of love can take you back to childhood and the time spent making cards in school with scissors and paste. Click on the Project Directions page to see how to make a  one-piece paper book.



Inside a one-page booklet




Here are some other possibilities for Valentine's Day declarations:

Hanging Hearts



A mint tin full of love

 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.