Friday, February 24, 2023

A CHANCE TO RECONNECT

 

Photo by Bill Slavin

Right in the middle of a chilly, blue-sky Spring day, I heard the news that a high school friend had passed away. She had had Parkinson's disease for many years, but I was still surprised by her passing. Her death made me think of other people I knew who had come and gone from my life, who died too early, and how random death can be.

She and several friends and I reconnected after our last high school reunion and tried to stay in touch with lunches at our homes and trips to museums. We all raised children, some of us lived overseas for periods of time, some taught school, some traveled extensively, some volunteered in their communities, and some of us became politically active during election seasons. We had different political points of view and activities that might have caused conflict in the group, but we didn't bring up issues that would divide us. Our visits to museums and our memories of our younger school days became the glue that held us together.

We grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles, nestled against Mt. Wilson, known for its racetrack and conservative point of view. For a year in high school in the 60s, we attended classes in Quonset huts because the community turned down an increase in school taxes. The heat and darkness of those tents stayed with me as a reminder of the tenuous support for education found in communities where you would least expect it.

We all left town to broaden our understanding of the world, but we took a piece of the town with us. After high school, our other classmates went to college, trade school, started jobs, or entered the military. We lost friends to the Vietnam War and to breast cancer. Some never came back to reunions, and others were the driving force behind the events. The six of us kept reconnecting at reunions but lost touch when we returned to our busy lives. We decided we needed to do more. We found a common interest in museum exhibits and traveled to MOMA, the deYoung, and Legion of Honor in San Francisco, and to the UC Davis Design Museum. 

Of the six of us, there are four left. Thinking of the two who have passed away, I'm reminded of the remembrance board at reunions. The list of people who have died gets longer and longer each time we meet. As the years accumulate, we have fewer opportunities to reconnect with someone else whose life is full of experiences that we could share and who knew us when our own views and experiences were just developing. 





11 comments:

  1. From Mary by email: I loved your blog this week. It’s so appropriate right now. Bill’s photos say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From CT by email: Thoughtful, as always.

    I am so very sorry for the loss of a dear high school friend. It is very sobering and has you reevaluate your life determining what is now important to you.

    I just lost a friend that I have known since the 7th grade.

    A dear friend just lost her Dad.

    And another friend lost her Mother.

    All within the same week.

    A good friend once said to me, “Don’t waste the day as you will never get it back”. I think of that often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From GR by email: OH that is so sad. I remember her so well. She was my dance partner at a Cotillion dancing class in 8th grade when I was a foot shorter than DB as she was known then. Such a nice person. I'm afraid my highly polished black leather dance class shoes destroyed a pair of her white super low heels in that class. I was such a klutz on the dance floor and probably still am.

    I remember her older brother BD as well. We were classmates from Hugo Reid on through AHS and the same with NL. I think I was 15 before I passed Diana up in height.

    I hate to hear death stories now as they come too often and hit such great people.

    Stay well. The world needs artists. And I still love Friday Blogs from Martha!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GR. Your story about the Cotillion dance class brought back memories of my own. Those dance classes! Ouch!

      Delete
  4. From Bonnie on FB: How wonderful to stay connected for all those years!
    Treasured memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Jane on FB: I treasure my friendships from my childhood and we don't get together nearly as often as I wish we could. This is a good reminder to reach out! Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From AnneR on FB: The connection/reconnection with childhood friends is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.