Friday, December 30, 2022

SEEING MAGIC

 



The last week of the year provides me with a pause to do mundane things like update passwords and develop a report of the year's expenses, chores that I would normally put aside for another day. The "another day" is here. This year the cloudy skies and chilly weather gave me time to get these chores done as well as time for reflection, reading, and sitting with our ancient cat by the fire. Good times.

My sister Linda has been tagging me with Found Faces this year. She knows I look for these faces in objects that I see. There is actually a name for the occupation: Pareidolia.  I've found a few faces of my own to share to provide a moment of uplift for another day.





We spent a couple of days in Monterey in December. We toured the Monarch Butterfly Reserve in Pacific Grove. The number of monarchs has increased from the previous downward spiral toward extinction, but only one tree in the reserve was covered with hanging butterflies. In the past, millions had spread themselves over the grove. We came just after a rain so the butterflies were resting and trying to dry their wings. They can't fly when wet. A few had been caught by the rain and lay on the ground. We were cautioned to be careful where we stepped. They are small and hard to see. Each photograph here makes it harder and harder to spot them.










I still have to cheat with this photo. If you can't find the butterfly either,
 I've left the circled answer below. 



Walking in the grove was a good reminder to watch our steps wherever we are.






The website, Boredpanda has examples of faces in everyday objects:
https://www.boredpanda.com/pareidolia-faces-everyday-objects/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Take a trip to Monterey and Pacific Grove to see the Monarch butterflies:

10 comments:

  1. I love this! Pareidolia. I enjoy that and all your posts, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara: thank you for continuing to read Postcards in the Air. Let's hope that 2023 is full of joy!

      Delete
  2. From Mary by email: I love your habit of finding faces in different things. I think I’ll try it. Last week up at Tahoe MIL pointed out an airplane that she has been gazing at for years in the mountains across the lake. Sure enough, we finally found it. G pulled out the telescope and learned that it was trees growing on the side of the mountain in the shape of a plane. I will forever think of MIL now when I spot it.
    I had to cheat on the last picture to find the butterfly, but I did find it. We went to the Butterfly Reserve back in 1985 when I was pregnant. We didn’t find any butterflies, so I’m happy to hear that the population is building up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good story about the airplane on the mountains! Thanks for reading this post, Mary.

      Delete
  3. From Bonnie by FB: My vocabulary has just added the word pareidolia. Now I will be looking for faces too.
    I have noticed faces in ordinary things in the past but I didn’t know there was a name for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to spot one in strange places. Thanks for reading my post!

      Delete
  4. From JB by FB: One of these days we need to go see the monarchs - they were so plentiful when I was a child, now we rarely see one. Thank goodness there still is a place where they can go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't realize how plentiful they were until you hardly see them anymore. True beauty.

      Delete
  5. Martha, you are so creative, you are a true artist. You see the beauty in nature and in the everyday things. Yours is a God-given ability and you make the most of it, Bless you for sharing your most positive and inspiring words and paintings. It enriches my day and instead of humdrum thoughts my mind reaches for the beauty and living wisdom all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, Thank you so much for reading my posts and for your wonderful comments here. I appreciate your taking the time to read this post as well as to comment. I'm glad I can add something to your day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.