Friday, July 22, 2022

WHAT CAR IS THAT?

 

Photo by Bill Slavin

Did you know the make and model of every car on the road when you were growing up? 

I wanted to share with you the story my husband, Bill, the photographer, has to tell about the cars on the road when he was young. 


WHAT CAR IS THAT?  by Bill Slavin

Every drive with my dad was a non-stop quiz on the make, model, and year of every car on the road. The '54 Chevy Bel Air at the Danville Car Show this past weekend transported me back to my nine-year-old self, riding shotgun with my dad.

The wind wing was open on both sides, to ventilate my dad's ever-present cigar smoke. We didn't need the windows down. "The wind wing was enough," he said. It wasn't unusual for me to wait in the car, with the cigar in the ashtray, while he did a quick errand. Lots of smoke. It wouldn't pass muster today.

I grew up in cigar smoke. I was shocked to discover in college that smoking a cigar is nothing like smelling the aroma. Smoking, for me, was disgusting, though I really tried to make it work during my college years. Yet, I still find the aroma pleasant even today. (Just don't smoke one in my car!)

My dad was a Buick man. Middle of the road--not too aggressive like a Chevy--and not as ostentatious as an Oldsmobile, and never a Cadillac. The Buick had an understated business-like class.

My dad was always on the road as a sales engineer for General Electric and the Buicks were upgraded every few years. The local dealer would leave a new car in the driveway and ask my dad to give it a try and let him know what he thought. "Take your time. No rush."



Photo by Bill Slavin


One of my chores was to keep the Buick clean and waxed. This often included removing the disgusting black oil that was regularly sprayed on our road in Decatur, Illinois. First, I cleaned off the road oil,  then two coats of wax, then I cleaned the windows to remove cigar film.

Removing road oil became an opportunity for me to earn extra money around our neighborhood. I learned how to remove the black gunk with generous amounts of turpentine and brisk rubbing--a dirty and arduous process--especially around the wheels. Then, I would clean and wax the bottom panels to their deep, rich, original color. It was hard work that generally took several hours but the results were brilliant.

Then it was hard for the customer (always a neighbor) to decline a wax job on the entire car. It would not look good to have the underside shining and the top...not so much. I don't remember how much I was paid, but it always required the customer to think real hard before reluctantly saying yes to the cleaning...and then checking often on my progress. I was thrilled to get paid for what I did at home for free.

Those neighbors were probably playing with me, now that I think of it. Waxing was fun for me because it was so easy, and I could see the result immediately. Every car glowed. I still enjoy waxing a car myself.


Do these photos trigger any car memories for you? I would love to hear your thoughts.


Photo by Bill Slavin



Click here to see all of Bill's car photos  



14 comments:

  1. From GR on FB: My dad was a Pontiac guy. Even a Buick he considered too showy🤔. I waxed my mom's Cadillac. Took forever. He didn't mind if mom had a fancy car that dad occassionally drove. (Hypocracy?) I had a coin collection and a stamp collection too. We must be the same age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GR, thanks for your comments. It's interesting how many parents stood by the same brand of cars. Cadillacs when we were young were huge. Must have taken forever for you to wax it! And yes to our same ages. Coins and stamps too more childhood similar experiences.

      Delete
  2. From Jane on FB: My dad was a stockbroker and I can still smell the cigar smoke imbedded in his wool suits when I would run to hug him when he got home. He didn't smoke, but his co-workers did and I loved the smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! that's funny to think that the smoke lingered with him till he got home and that you ran to hug him to smell that old cigar aroma!

      Delete
  3. From FL on FB: Wing window! I remember those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Stephen M on FB: Great classic car pics! On road trips it was fun to guess model years based on size and shape of tail fins. And count vent holes in Buicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, aren't the details beautiful. We've lost something in car design! Buick vent holes--I'd forgotten about them.

      Delete
  5. From SB on FB: Such a departure from your normal blog-and so much fun! Love Bill’s car photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story by Bill is so much fun, I just had to give him room on my blog.

      Delete
  6. From Meta by email: My granddaughter thought your art using the postage stamp was "beautiful." Cars from the 1950's bring back so many memories. They were gorgeous - all those pastels, the designs, the duo colors. In 1954 I and my best friend were crossing guards for George Washington Elementary School in Lodi. We were 6th graders, with the required sash, whistle, and stop sign. Sally and I prided ourselves on being able to identify each new car and there seemed to be tons of them. My favorite was the Chevie Impala or Bel-Air. My family never bought new cars but when I was in high school my Dad bought a used Chrysler convertible - pale blue and white. It even had a record player in it with special records - a precursor to the CD. The car was so gorgeous it made it into the Grape and Wine Festival Parade with myself and two other officers of the Junior Women's Club sitting above the back seats in our pale blue and white polished cotton dresses. We were probably waving our white gloved hands as well!
    Thanks for bringing back those great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your memories too, Meta. Crossing guards -- so many of us were part of that troop! And your dad's Chrysler with a record player -- over the top. Oh, and white gloves. Thanks for writing.

      Delete
  7. From Linda via FB: I remember Daddy loved cars. It seemed we had a new car every year. The flashy red Dodge was a big surprise from the usual very subdued colors of former cars: dk. blue, black or tan. The Dodge was a mistake because started falling apart not long after we got it. Then we got the Mercedes 219. Now that was a great car. Mom taught me to drive a stick shift in it, not Daddy. He gave up on me. I learned to love cars from him, though. They were fascinating to me from an early age; I drew pictures of cars a lot. I have a Ford now, Heaven forbid! But it is so far a good car. My faves are VW or Audi these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, cars were a big part of Dad's life. I remember we would go to antique car museums. Wasn't the Pierce Arrow his favorite car of that time? I recall the blue Packards too. And Mimi & Grammy with their Metropolitan. Good memories.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.