Friday, May 20, 2022

STUCK IN MY HEAD

 

First time I've tried painting a cow. Not so easy.


Do you get a song stuck in your head sometimes?

Right now, "Cool, Clear Water," wanders into my head anytime I have a spare moment. That old cowboy song first crept in as we drove down Vasco Road towards Brentwood in California's Central Valley. We stopped for a herd of cattle as they crossed the road, cowboys on motorbikes, not horses, herding them along. I could almost hear them calling, "Yippee Yi Yo. Yippee Yi Yah."

"Cool Water" and Ghost Riders in the Sky" are the first two songs I remember hearing as a kid. The lyrics tell good, somewhat spooky stories which pricked my imagination. I could see the ghost riders thundering overhead and feel the dry, parched heat that caused hallucinations out on the trail as two cowboys searched for water.

After a week of cowboys wandering in my head, I heard the news that the singer Judy Henske died. I'm partial to male singers, but something about her voice and her choice of songs resonated with me. She sang the blues at about the same time as Janis Joplin and she had a crying, world-weary voice like Bessie Smith, Aretha Franklin, and Edith Piaf. As soon as I saw Henske's obit, my mind turned to "High Flying Bird" and "Till the Real Thing Comes Along" and stuck there for a couple of days.

Without too much trouble, I began to trove through other songs that grab my mind: "Memories" from Cats, "(can't you just see the plaintive eyes of Grizabella, the old cat, as she sings this song), "The City of New Orleans" sung by Arlo Gutherie, with a bush of white hair, strumming his guitar, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot and the storm he sings about, and "Me and Bobby McGee" from Janis Joplin with her raspy, whiskey-filled voice. As soon as I thought of the names of the songs, their tunes came back into my head, and have stayed there waiting for a quiet moment to catch my attention.


I used the app Halftone to make this pixelated version of my photo.

Are you singing a song right now? Since it so close to the first summer heat wave and just in case you forgot the lyrics to "Cool Water," here's a tidbit:

"Dan, can you see that big green tree

Where the water's running free

And it's waitin' there for you and me?

Water, cool, clear water."

(lyrics by Bob Nolan)

Or try listening to these:

Check out Elaine Page as Grizabella:

Bessie Smith from 1929:

Judy Henske:

Johnny Cash singing Ghost Riders in the Sky:


22 comments:

  1. I love those old story songs! I've got Townes Van Zandt's, "Pancho and Lefty" stuck in my head, right now. Thanks for sharing your beautiful artwork, as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pancho and Lefty" is another good one to keep singing. I've got a full medley of songs going right now.

      Delete
  2. From Mary by email: OK, now it’s stuck in my head! I like your cows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Judy by email: Love it! I have that album of Cool Water. My uncles would play it
    And sing along. If they drank too much beer, they would nearly yodel with a Slim Whitman album. Fun memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for telling the good memory with your uncles. Yodeling, that's a lost art, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Cheryl by mail: You did a GREAT JOB on that cow! Look at the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment about the painting of the cow. It was fun to do.

      Delete
  6. From AW via FB: Google sent me on such a goose chase I’ll just post my response here, Martha: I love Judy Henske whose singing I first met by way of the late children’s advocate lawyer and novelist Andrew Vachss. At one point when Judy was making a comeback in blues clubs/LA I had lunch with her.
    My, my, how time slips away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have led such an interesting life. One more good chapter to write. Thanks for reading my post.

      Delete
  7. From SR on FB: Music has always been important to me. Thanks for sharing Judy Henske. What an interesting voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post today. Judy Henske's voice is extraordinary.

      Delete
  8. From SE via FB: My husband took me to see Cats in LA for one of my birthdays. At the time I had an old cat who was getting a little worn and shaggy. That song made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of those musicals that create tears. Cats -- especially for anyone with a cat.

      Delete
  9. From JB via Facebook: Thanks for the introduction to Judy - I will be searching for her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome once again. Thanks for reading my posts each week.

      Delete
  10. From SG via FB: if you like country swing (era--30's) its gotta be Patsy Montana

    ReplyDelete
  11. From LD via FB: h, “Cool Water.” It’s one of those unimaginable childhood memories. It’s a rather haunting & disturbing song which I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From SM via FB: Somehow I didn’t recall Judy Henske but she’s great. Always a Joplin fan, though I think it’s more than whiskey in her Bobby McGee delivery

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Judy Henske kinda slipped through the cracks. And J Joplin had a lot more in her system than just whiskey. Great voice though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.