Friday, May 13, 2022

ART BREAK


Part of the mural by Velia De Luliis, which is located in Duncan Arcade, Walnut Creek

After listening to the news this past week, or more truthfully, for the last six years, I needed a break. I headed to Walnut Creek, a larger town near us that has created history and art walks throughout its downtown area.

I enjoy learning about history, large and small. I like reading about people who have made a difference in our lives such as Benjamin Franklin, and also ordinary people who make up the towns around us. I want to know what came to a town before I did. Walnut Creek's historical society has posted placards near buildings and streets to show the changes that have come to the town. The signs remind me of the plaques in Paris that indicate where an author or artist lived or an event in French history happened. Standing near those markers made me feel more tuned into the history of the place.

Recently the Mel's Diner in Walnut Creek closed. I occasionally stopped there for some old-fashioned comfort food. The original Mel's was in San Francisco and appeared in the movie, "American Graffiti."  I knew a World Famous HotBoys planned to replace it, but I was startled as I walked by to see the huge mural on the wall next to the building. Bright and full of cartoon-like characters, the mural depicts some of the features of Walnut Creek including sculptures by Benny Bufano and Seyed Alavi.


Mural by Berk (@Berkvisuals) for HotBoys


Walnut Creek, like Oakland (HotBoys' original location) and many towns in our area, has invested in public art. The pieces scattered over the Walnut Creek downtown area are part of the art walk and encourage walkers to visit the stores in the neighborhood too. They provide bright spots, amusement, a place to sit and watch the reactions of passersby to the art, and finally a respite from our daily news.


The front of one of the pianos placed on the Walnut Creek streets invites you to play.



For more information about Walnut Creek's history and art walks:



For more information about Berk's mural for HotBoys:

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the much-needed break, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Teresa. More and more towns have art work displayed. It's a treat!

      Delete
  2. From Jane on FB: Such a fun way to spend an afternoon. One of my favorite memories was listening to an impromptu concert at a piano in a train station in London. A classical piece played by a master pianist! So happy to hear that WC is following that trend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, Yes, subway music is a thrill. The tunnels amplify the sounds so well.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.