Friday, January 14, 2022

JANUARY ABOUT FACES

 In the January doldrums, sometimes I go back to a skill as a good way to start practice for the new year. I've always drawn and painted faces. With acrylic paint, I can experiment more and correct mistakes by layering paint and using texture. 

BLUE EYES by Martha Slavin
gesso, acrylic paint, torn paper napkins, graphite pencil


To capture texture in these pieces, I use gesso as a ground underneath acrylic paint. I glue down pieces of paper using matt medium. For my first layer of paint, I often brush on random strokes of aqua and yellow ochre. I add more pieces of paper and stencil texture to the dry surface. In some paintings, I water down the gesso and paint a thin coat over the top and then wipe most of it off with a paper towel. On BLUE EYES I drew outlines and text with a graphite pencil. On FEMALE, I used black gesso to outline the faces and added white highlights.


FEMALE by Martha Slavin
gesso, strips of paper, acrylic paint, stencils
FEMALE is now on view at the online Las Laguna Gallery exhibit

For HIDDEN WITHIN, I sprayed watercolor ink on thin pieces of paper, I also used the ink stopper from the bottle to draw lines and add dots. I glued these all together with matt medium, added a face, and then stenciled through doilies for more texture. My last step was the doily frame around the face.


HIDDEN WITHIN by Martha Slavin
Torn paper, stencils, splattered watercolor ink, doilies


These two paintings show how much change can result because of layering. I was dissatisfied with the first attempt, so I used a different palette of colors on top of the dry surface. I used stencils to add pattern and texture, and drew with regular drawing pencils to highlight the features of the face. Maybe I will do another version on top!

Draft #1


Finished or not?

   



















Here are some of the materials I used to paint these faces:




Check out the latest online exhibit, Human Faces & Figures, at the Las Laguna Gallery in Laguna, California. Since it is online they are able to showcase many more pieces than they could display in their gallery. The artwork is presented in alphabetical order so you have to scroll through a lot until you get to mine, FEMALE. Click on each image to see the entire work.

 https://www.laslagunaartgallery.com

6 comments:

  1. Your faces are wonderful. The one you submitted for Human Faces & Figures is captivating. Thanks for sharing this. It's a nice way to relax after an exhausting day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, Martha! Congratulations on your inclusion in the gallery show and thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. It's fun to enter the online shows because more people can see the exhibits.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Chandra Lynn. Faces are my favorite thing to draw or paint. I appreciate your reading my posts. Let's hope this year will be better -- filled with all things creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Mary by email: Your blog today just confirmed how much I don’t know or understand surrounding the process of painting. You are constantly facing challenges and building on your skills to improve and take your art to a pleasing place. I do understand why you’re drawn to it. Quilting and paper crafts provide that outlet for me. We are so lucky to have these learning pleasures in our lives everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Playing with paints and drawing have helped me through the pandemic.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.