Friday, January 29, 2021

SCRAMBLED WORDS


The movie Hidden Figures helped us reconsider our recent history and highlighted the part women, as well as men of color played in further our defence and science. The women in Hidden Figures were called computers because of the work they did with numbers. The space race would not have been won without them. Other women during World War II participated as spies and codebreakers for the U.S. and Britain. They used their puzzle-solving abilities to crack codes.

 Could you have been a codebreaker? Do you like word puzzles? Try this.

Do you know how many words in a paragraph start with the letter U?

There is no right answer to that question of course, but words that begin with U are not that common. After reading three paragraphs in the newspaper, I found only one word that started with U. Yet U words can have significant meanings.

Think of some words that start with U:



I picked these words because of their positive meanings.

Other U words:






All of those start with UN and connect to words that mean their exact opposite. You could write an interesting poem with just a list of U words:





Five days a week, I finish the mini crossword that the New York Times offers. Since the pandemic started, newspapers have filled their pages with fun things to do. Both the San Francisco Chronicle and the East Bay Times offer special sections of word puzzles. The NYT includes them in their new At Home section, which provides ideas to nurture creativity.

My favorite puzzles are CRYPTOGRAMS, a secret code puzzle that relies on your knowledge of the number of times a letter might appear in a sentence, what letters usually end words, and other tricks or rules of a language. Like a codebreaker, I start out looking for patterns, I look for three-letter words that could be THE and also single letters, which will either be A or I. E is one of the most used letters and often ends a word. THE is common too, though sometimes the puzzle master will give you three letters that turn out to be YOU instead. If I find an I, then I start looking for ING. Raymond Carver, the writer, tried to eliminate gerunds in his writing.  He wanted his writing to be direct. Instead of saying "I am going," he would say "I went." But not everyone writes like Carver and words ending in ING stand out. The letters B, F, and J are uncommon. You will need to discover more of the meaning of the sentence before you can uncover a B, F, or J word.

In the paragraph above, there are four words that start with U. Can you find them? In comparison, there are 20 words that begin with T.

Try this CRYPTOGRAM:

"N Q P I J   X F J G   F O   J E D P Q C J X   F E   G S   L J Q P A."    G. Y. T.   Y F O L J P

Hint: A equals T

Find a list of words that begin with U. Then send me your U poem.


Remember what Sherlock Holmes said, "The game is afoot."

You can find a list of words that start with U here: http://www.manythings.org/vocabulary/lists/l/words.php?f=3esl.21

If you like Cryptograms, check out the article in the Smithsonian Magazine about the women codebreakers in World War II:

or read The Code Girls by Liza Mundy

or 
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
Spymistress by William Stevenson
The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone


"Service is the price you pay for the 'rent' you owe in this life, the space that you occupy on this earth."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

8 comments:

  1. U truly are messing with my mind. I have no love for puzzles or perhaps I have no patience, but I do enjoy the intrigue people find with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Letty. I only like certain types of puzzles. Others are just frustrating. My sister, though, is a wiz at them and would have been a good codebreaker. Glad we have reconnected our blogs.

      Delete
  2. When I first went to university in England as a Math Major and signed up with a doctor, as one did with the NHS, the only question she asked me was whether I would find myself counting the squares on a patterned ceiling, the repeats in wall paper, or the complete tiles on a tiled floor. I had to confess that I saw and grappled with patterns every where. Aah she said, then you really are a mathematician. She was wrong actually, but I would have been a good code-breaker I think.
    Crosswords - my husband and I have completed the Times crossword and the English Guardian crossword every day since the day I was sent home for work the day of the shut down in March 2020. If we miss a day will the world fall apart? I think we are afraid to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep doing those crosswords. We need you!
      That's interesting that the doctor asked you about counting squares, repeats in wallpaper, tiles on the floor. I don't count them, but I do look for patterns within/without the patterns. Intriguing to try to figure out puzzles. Thanks for your comments. They make this post more alive!

      Delete
  3. From Mary by email: I thought I would start my Saturday with a quick look at your Cryptogram, which is a puzzle that I’ve never really learned to solve. You little hints intrigued me so I thought I would give it a try. I first started by scanning your paragraph to find the the 4 u words, which took me longer than I expected. I found the 20 t words pretty quickly. Then I tried to settle in with the Cryptogram and thought, yikes, this is hard. So it is on my list of things to do. Any other tips that you might want to send my way would be greatly appreciated. I noticed that there aren’t any 3 letter words, darn. There is potential for ing but that will require a bit more time to explore. Thanks for turning me on to this, I love a challenge.
    Speaking of “The Mini”, it is a part of my everyday routine now. I’m getting better but I do get stumped a lot. Todays was very easy, I was proud of myself. My fastest time is 1min 21sec. I also really like the Letter Boxed game. I’ve been successful at completing the puzzle within the challenged # of words, but there are days where I’ve had to restart and rethink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized that I wasn't very fair with this particular Cryptogram. It isn't easy. It just happens to be one of my favorite sayings. Think food writers.

      Delete
  4. U made me love yoU even more with yoUre Udderly
    WonderfUl blog plUg challenge 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, I love your response to U words! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.