Friday, October 9, 2020

FOCUS ON TEXTURE AND PATTERN



Some people see dirt, I see paintings.

Autumn seems much more of a change to me than other seasons. Maybe because in the U.S. back-to-school patterns used to be set in September and I still respond to that anticipation. I know that in other places outside of California the temperature has dropped far below what we are experiencing with the dry high-eighties degree weather here. We won't get leaves turning color until the end of October or even November, but we still see the golden light of Autumn. The shadows slant longer across the road, the mornings are chilly, but the leaves that now drop are dry and dusty, more so because of the intense heatwaves we've lived through this summer.





This is a good time of year to look for patterns and textures. Even cement becomes interesting as layers of gravel are exposed and leaves, sticks, and berries fill the cracks. Looking at each separate leaf on the ground, I can see the vein pathways like small city maps that highlight the process of life of the leaf. 





I take pictures as I walk. I look for inspiration among the greys, taupes, yellow ochre, burnt siena, and burnt umbre colors that have fallen to the ground and worked their way into the creases, leaving me with patterns, shapes, and changes in value that I can draw and use to create a collage or painting. The principles of design -- balance, repetition, contrast, proportion, rythym, and pattern -- stick in my head and guide me to focus the camera so I can create a harmonious, pleasing design.

Back home, I draw the bones of some of the photos:








I select the second photo because of the contrast of darks and lights, the amount of large and small shapes, and the texture.






Then I add some earth tones with watercolor and black markings with a black china marker, which is waterproof.



I tear paper and lay it down to check the composition.




I glue those pieces down, but decide to add some paper that I had eco-printed with leaves and a circle with sumi-i ink calligraphic marks.




I'm still not satisfied with this piece yet. There is always gesso or more paper pieces to the rescue. Sometimes, though, the piece just is a good learning experience.







Good article from NASA about rising temperatures:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/147256/california-heatwave-fits-a-trend 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Chandra, for your kind words. I'm still working at it!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful collage, Martha. How I love this season of warm light and long shadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. That collage is still set aside. Changes may come. Autumn is my favorite season too.

      Delete
  3. From Mary by email: Ahh, isn’t Fall a beautiful time of the year. I have never regretted moving from SoCal to NoCal, I love the changes of the seasons. It’s not as harsh as Illinois but the change from one season to the next is still very prominent. Thanks for reminding of the beautiful days ahead and for giving me a new way to look at things as I walk in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Mary. Morning walks are particularly inspiring.

      Delete
  4. From Jane on FB: I love your piece - the layers make it so interesting! It reminds me of some of the things my husband makes. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane, for reading my blog. Layers have always intrigued me as an artist. And I agree, your husband's work also shows the importance of layering.

      Delete
  5. From Kim on FB: You have got to be the most creatively wonderful person I know. You see beauty in everything, even dirt. You are a fascinating woman, dear Gus! I love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to look hard to find dirt interesting! Thanks for your comments, Kim. Love back at you.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine, for taking the time to read my blog. Autumn is a favorite time of year for me -- full of themes to use!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.