Friday, May 24, 2019

COLOR FILLED


 It's not often I get to turn around from a workshop and use the lessons I've gained from the class right away, but our trip to Italy gave me the chance to create a sketchbook of places we visited.



Since I would need to lug my art supplies around with me, I tried to be compact with what I brought. I decided not to carry watercolors, brushes, or water containers. Instead, I opted for two small boxes of watercolor crayons: one set of Staedler primary colors and another made by Caran D'Arche, containing color hues such as burnt siena and yellow ochre that match the Tuscan landscape. I brought a water brush along with a set of Staedler markers. I packed a stack of watercolor sheets rather than a sketchbook. I could lay these flat on a clipboard without being annoyed by the folds of a sketchbook. I forgot to tape an inch at the end of each page, which means I'm going to have be inventive in connecting these pages together.




I also decided not to sketch while we visited sites. Instead I took lots of photos that I hoped would give me something to draw later back at our home base. It was fun to work this way since it gave me a second chance to visit the places we had been soon after we left them.

Our first hill town, Cortona, on a rainy day

Siena



Two pages of Florence, a wonder to walk through

Assisi and Fiumicino, our last stops 

Since we came home, I'm trying to keep up my sketchbook practice. Two creative friends and I plan to meet every couple of weeks to enjoy sitting in a garden and observing the world around us.





If you'd like to learn more about sketchbook drawing, try these classes:

Brenda Swenson, https://www.swensonsart.net/events.html
Kristin Meuser, http://www.naturemeuse.com

or come draw with us on our sketchbook days!

6 comments:

  1. From Mary by email: Beautiful work and such a nice way to keep the memory alive.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. It was a wonderful trip with good friends.

      Delete
  2. from MB by email: I just finished looking at your last blog posting of pages from your travel journal, and I was wowed by each drawing, from the gorgeous Florentine buildings on the Arno, to the pigeons, to the statues, and more! Thank you for sharing these drawings with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments! It was a great trip --well worth the long hours on planes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and unique keepsake, Martha! How lovely to have your experience of creating the images to treasure along with your memories of the trip. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Teresa, these were fun to draw and brought back good memories. Thank you for reading my post today!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.