Friday, March 22, 2019

WORDS, ALPHABETS, & TYPE



Design with type by Martha Slavin

We read type. We write words. We use parts of the alphabet all the time. We don't think much about the fonts we use or see. When I graduated from college, I planned to be a graphic designer so that I could play with type and design layouts. I went to art school and built a portfolio, but eventually chose teaching instead.

Many women stayed in design as a career. Two female designers that I'm featuring as part of Women's History Month have flourished in the commercial world of graphic design. They are the ones who create new fonts or design with type. Every packaged product you pick up has been in the hands of a designer.

Louise Fili is well known for her sophisticated, European look that she applies to labeling, logos, postage, and packaging. Her work is luscious, sensual and clean. Fili created the Love stamp for the U.S. post office.


LOVE stamp by Louise Fili

Take a look at her website, which I've located at the end of this post, for the Before and her resolutions of After of labels for such companies as Good Housekeeping and Hanky Panky. You will see how carefully she creates the space around the letters and how much thought she gives to what she is designing.


Logo by Louise Fili  Notice how the alpaca's nose extends beyond the border

Another well-known designer, Margo Chase, began working in LA in the entertainment industry. She created the title for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and many album covers using her Goth sense of design. She didn't limit herself to Goth. She founded a design group and refreshed more mainstream brands such as Nestle's Coffeemate and Mr. Clean.

Fonts designed by Margo Chase


Both of these designers are creative and play with letters even when they develop something as utilitarian as a 7-Up can. Fili and Chase want to entice you to look at the packaging and make a purchase. They design fonts for a specific purpose or brand.

In contrast, Max Miedinger and Eduard Hoffman, two designers from Switzerland, created the font Helvetica in the 1950s. You see Helvetica everywhere. There is a reason for that. The two designers were followers of the International Typographic Style developed in the 1920s, which emphasized neutral, objective designs. Miedinger and Hoffman succeeded with Helvetica, which is why you see this font in airports, restaurants, shops, and on packaging and logos. It is easy to read and has no emotional connection to the words displayed.



Next time you read a book take another look at the cover. Does the font draw you to the book before you even turn past the cover?
When you pick up a package, does the font help explain what will be inside?
Is the font friendly, dramatic, quirky?
What makes you decide from one package or another, or one book from another?
We buy products for many reasons. One of those is the design of the packaging.

You can find more information about my Women's History Month choices, Louise Fili and Margo Chase, at their websites. Both websites are a visual treat:

https://www.louisefili.com
https://www.chasedesigngroup.com/culture/our-founder






Enjoy the Vernal Equinox. Notice the light.


8 comments:

  1. Yep! I notice fonts/design/art first. I love words and the creative approaches to lettering. Thanks for this post and the links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hsppily surprised by the interest in letters/fonts and ways to design with letters. Thank you for commenting, Chandra.

      Delete
  2. You are completely correct with your statement: "We buy products for many reasons. One of those is the design of the packaging." The wine industry is a perfect example of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree about the wine industry. Their designs encourage people to purchase their particular product!

      Delete
  3. Just one more example of the power of words (and women!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Mary by email: This one really hit home. I think if asked today “What do you want to be when you grow up”, I would answer a graphic designer. I do notice fonts, alot, and have been known to overload my computer with all the free fonts that I take advantage of. I love the way that you can change the feel of something on paper just by changing the way the letters look or are spaced. I love to create invitations and signs and wish I could have had some sort of formal training. I play with it all the time in my card making and paper crafts. By sharing this with others, I’m sure it will open their eyes too. I really enjoyed the illustration of the before and after on the website, thanks for sparking my interest all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, for sharing your experience and your answer to "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I think whether you make a career of your early aspirations, they stay with you and you incorporate them into your life.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.