Friday, March 8, 2019

WOMEN WHO STAND OUT IN THEIR FIELDS







To celebrate International Women's Day on March 8, I painted a bunch of postcards with yellow flowers to send to Love Notes and Global Art Swap postcard members. While I painted and since it is also Women's History Month, I thought of women artists and what little recognition they have received. Frida Kahlo, Georgia O'Keeffe, or Mary Cassatt are artists we are all familiar with. If you studied art history, you might remember Louise Bourgeois, Kathe Kollwitz, Louise Nevelson or Helen Frankenthaler. If you love photography, you will know Diane Arbus, Imogene Cunningham, Annie Leibovitz, Cindy Sherman and Dorothea Lange. I couldn't go much furrther in making a list.

I stopped painting and continued to search for women artists. I came up with a good list that I have included at the bottom of this page. I recognized only a few of the names, but I found their work to be both interesting and diverse. I scoured the National Museum of Women in the Arts to find more. I linked Bernarda Bryson Shahn and Elaine de Kooning to their more famous husbands.  Many others stand on their own merits, but without the recognition that many male artists received.



Looking at my postcards with yellow flowers, I remembered Vera Neumann from my childhood. My mother encouraged me to follow Vera, a well-known clothing and house linen designer, because she had made a success of an art career. In college, I loved the work of Sister Mary Corita Kent, a silk screen artist who used bright colors to convey her social justice messages in the 1960s. I hadn't thought of these two artists in a long time, but I realized as I worked this week what an influence they both had been on my own artwork.





          You can look at a gallery of Vera Neumann's work here: http://veraneumann.com/about/




You can see more of Corita Kent's artwork here:   http://corita.org/collection



Here is my list, so far, of women artists from the last hundred years:
Fine Artists:
Sonia Delauney, Natalia Goncharova, Bernarda Bryson Shahn,  Milena Pavlovic-Barili
Adrienne Piper, Carmen Herrara, Agnes Martin, Amelia Palaez, Judy Chicago,
Pat Steir, Elaine de Kooning and Jay DeFeo
Lygia Clark, Eve Hesse, Lee Krasner, Joan Mitchell (not the singer),
Grace Hartigan, Perle Fine, Alice Neel, Mary Abbott, Judith Godwin, Sonia Gechtoff
Designers:
Ray Eames (who worked with her husband Ray Eames as a design team)
Lucienne Day (who worked with her husband Robin  Day as a design team)
Vera Neumann, Sister Mary Corita Kent, Margo Chase, and Louise Fili






What mentor did you follow who helped you to be the person you are today?


Check out these websites for more information on women artists and designers:

National Museum of Women in the Arts
https://nmwa.org/about
Envato:
https://envato.com/blog/6-women-designers-you-need-to-know-about/?_ga=2.120770632.1371324038.1551832962-398375444.1551832962
Phototraces:
https://www.phototraces.com/creative-photography/famous-female-photographers/
Huffington Post:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/11-historic-women-photographers-you-should-know_us_55f6cb87e4b077ca094f82ac

Join the Love Notes Postcard Project and the Global Art Swap:



6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful yellow flower Martha! You made my day :) Joni Mitchell is in fact an artist as well. Jonimitchell.com has a vast collection. My first favorite artist was Georgia O'Keeffe. But I have since learned of so many more. Reading about her gumption to pursue a career dominated by men, was inspiring. Wishing you a JOY filled March, and a very happy Women's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note & website about the other Joni Mitchell --- the one we all know. As a creative, I am sure that she also pursue other artistic methods.

      Delete
  2. From Mary via email: I loved your yellow flowers and your reference to women artists. I really enjoy the thoughts and illustrations you spill out on paper. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Mary, for your kinds comments. Yellow flowers really brighten the day, don't they?

      Delete
  3. I am thrilled with my card from you and intend on following the advice to be Brave and to be Bold!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.