Friday, June 28, 2024

CELEBRATIONS



When I heard that Willie Mays had died, tears came to my eyes. I was surprised by my reaction even though I have been a baseball fan all my life. I probably saw Willie Mays play while watching TV with my family when I was young. He might have been in my baseball card collection. He was up there with Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Yogi Berra on my favorites list, though I only saw some of the players in replays on TV.

Willie Mays became a well-known figure around Oracle Park, the Giants home in San Francisco, long after he played. The stories of his kindness, generosity, ability to reach out to anyone, and zest for life permeate the ballpark. But I was surprised by my tears until I realized that Willie Mays represented more than baseball. He was one of those people who represents the best of us.





Before signing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, President Lyndon Johnson said,
"Those who founded our country knew that freedom would be secure only if each generation fought to renew and enlarge its meaning.
Americans of every race and color have died in battle to protect our freedom.
Americans of every race and color have worked to build a nation of widening opportunities.
Now our generation of Americans has been called on to continue the unending search for justice within our own borders."

We attended the second annual Juneteenth Parade in San Francisco to celebrate the end of slavery in America in 1865. The parade was a joyful gathering of people who watched groups parade down the street showing off custom cars, riding floats, and tossing beaded necklaces so that kids could scamper to catch them. The crowd was alive with joy and laughter as they clapped to the music of drill and dance teams. Again, I was surprised to find tears in my eyes, but I also thought that this is how it should be: a celebration of a time when America made the right choice, a step in continuing to make more choices through the years. I see hope in the celebration, but Johnson's words from 1965 are just as important today. We need to get back to the basics of helping people, being kind, and working to widen opportunities for everyone. The Fourth of July is another holiday when we can reflect on the importance of democracy and freedom. 

I'm in for making our country a better place for everyone. Aren't you?




Cavallo Point faces the Golden Gate Bridge. A former Army camp, the property has become a park, boat launching pad, fishing spot, hotel, and restaurant. A place where folks who drive Cadillac's CTV come to compare and show off their cars. A place for everyone.



Check out the complete speech that President Johnson gave:

https://millercenter.org/the-presidency/presidential-speeches/july-2-1964-remarks-upon-signing-civil-rights-bill

A group from the Gerald Ford Foundation and the Jimmy Carter Center have devised a pledge they are asking any person running for office to sign:

https://principledcandidates.org/aboutus/ 


Happy Fourth of July!

2 comments:

  1. I so appreciate this post and your participating in Juneteenth events. So many people have in their heads that Juneteenth should only matter to African Americans--and that's plain sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We all need to celebrate Juneteenth. It should matter to every person in the US.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.