Friday, January 19, 2024

EARLY MORNING ON THE EIGHTH FLOOR


Photos for January from the Northeast Window


Not too early in the morning from the northeast bedroom window of our new apartment, I can watch the sun hit the windows of the apartment buildings across the channel. The sun touches a few of the windows with golden light. The seagulls circle and land on the still waters of the channel. I hear their off-key caw as they greet each other. I check the shoreline for the rocks that are hidden by high tide. Sometimes the water is as reflective as a mirror. Other times, the wind ruffles the water and the mirror disappears. 

I can see the giant electronic billboard at Oracle Park where the Giants baseball team plays. The billboard is on 24/7 and flashes enormous photos of ball players, Motocross riders, or the trendy entertainers who will come to the park in the future. I can see the towers of the Bay Bridge rise above the park and Yerba Buena Island in the distance.  I watch steam rising from pipes on several buildings and I have to remind myself that this isn't Tokyo or Paris. I am in San Francisco.

I see a chattering of sparrows fly to the edge of the roof below and line up like little soldiers. I watch walkers amble across the street to the channel parkway, many with dogs in tow. I hear the roar of freeway traffic which sounds more like a river than individual cars and trucks. I hear the occasional forceful commuter train whistle as the train surges towards the Fourth Street terminal. Sirens from ambulances and fire trucks screech as they race towards the hospital emergency rooms. Occasionally, I hear the alarm that signals one of the drawbridges across the channel is moving upwards as all traffic stops on the streets.



Channel Street

I am too far above the street to notice any odors or feel the street-side weather from the window. The northeast window looks out onto Mission Creek, which separates us from the rest of San Francisco. Bill and I moved to another apartment on the corner of the building in the same complex we had been living in since November. I like that there are more windows. Bill misses the sun from our old south-facing apartment. 

At night, the view from the northeast bedroom window is a different story.



Mission Creek at night by Bill Slavin



7 comments:

  1. From Tena by email: Love the night lights. What a great place to temporarily live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, an entirely different perspective of living. Temporary is good!

      Delete
  2. From Mary by email: It is so fun for me to hear about your explorations and the enjoyment that you’re finding in your new home. This apartment sounds wonderful and your views are fabulous. It doesn’t sound like there are any negatives to the one. I hope you’re settled in and finally looking forward to just enjoying where you’re at. What an adventure for you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having fun as well as being challenged to do things differently.

      Delete
  3. From Bonnie on FB: love hearing about your moves. You truly are embracing your city experiences. Good for you! I wonder if you will decide to live in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Jane on FB: I love how you see the world around you - painting images with your words!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.