Friday, August 4, 2023

A WEEK OF NEW


A bushy grey tail with dark rings scooted out of the door of the downstairs bedroom as I walked in and turned on the light. We had left the bedroom door open to allow in the fresh air. The door let in something else as well. A raccoon, I'm sure, who came to check out the new residents. I didn't see the animal's face, but the rings on the tail let me know what kind of bold creature had visited our new place.

The backyard of the rental where we are staying for a couple of months leads down to a lagoon and faces west so the sunset is blue, yellow, and shadows. I thought of mosquitoes as the sun disappeared, but no insects buzzed around our heads. The doors don't have screens like they would on a Minnesota lake where at dusk everyone comes inside, listens, and watches the bugs surrounding the porch lights.

A new place and a perfect time to make a sketch-a-day diary of what catches my eye. We've already found the local corner shopping center just a short walk away with two restaurants, a small grocery, an exercise studio, and a coffee place where we hope to spend some mornings.

We've driven to Santa Cruz to one of our favorite bookstores and snagged a bag of books to keep us reading. We found another set of shops in Aptos with two excellent restaurants, the Red Apple Cafe, for breakfast and lunch, and the Bittersweet Bistro for dinner. We haven't gotten organized enough yet to start making meals at home. 

With each box I unpack, I sigh, "Did I really need to bring this?" And then I remember why. If I had left the box in storage, the contents would have been what I really needed. Packing light has never been my forte. This time, we left screwdrivers and pliers in storage since we rented a furnished place and thought we wouldn't need them. We could have used those tools when I opened a kitchen cabinet door, which fell out of its top hinge leaving me to hold on to the door until I could get it realigned with the base and back in place. No tools needed!

I don't have my watercolors out yet, but I've decided to use marking pens and colored pencils to make my diary. I've pulled out the templates made by Nico Ng that I bought earlier this year and hadn't had time to use. I'm ignoring for the day the rest of the stuff that needs to be unpacked. I am ready to begin.




Nico Ng and all his helpful products can be found here:

The Red Apple Cafe in Aptos:

The Bittersweet Bistro:

Cafe Cruz 
Don’t be fooled by the entrance on the street side:
https://www.cafecruz.com/
 

10 comments:

  1. From Francie by email: Wow! So exciting you’re trying a new place. Fun to mix it up and keeping an art diary. We’re renting and will continue to do so for a few more weeks. Missing our tools, cooking utensils and clothes. We used a quarter to tighten a license plate holder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth, Francie! We always pack what we think we need then realize what we didn't include. All those little things we take for granted!

      Delete
  2. From Francine by email: Thank you for sharing your "new/temporary" home today. It looks like a lovely place, and you seem happy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day is a new adventure. Lots of things to discover about our new temporary home as well as about ourselves.

      Delete
  3. From Letty by email: This sounds more like an extended holiday for the two of you, instead of a move. I envy your artistic ability to show a clip of each day’s adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like a holiday right at the moment. That is until I opened emails this morning and had to get back to normal life! Hubby, a photographer, is also doing a daily photo. The habit is catching on!

      Delete
  4. From Mary by email: Sounds like your enjoying your new place and adapting to quite an interesting environment. Sharing my with a raccoon though sound pretty frightening. I’m glad you’re having fun Gus, what a beautiful time of year to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun so far to discover new places, staying off the freeway so that we can explore more of the area. The weather is terrific, but the drive over 17 makes us realize this isn't going to be our new permanent home.

      Delete
  5. From Cheryl: You sound FREE and happy!
    Love the idea of a painting for each day of the calendar month.
    And the Giants WON yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying the time here. Bill is taking a photo a day. We'll see how this all turns out!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.