Friday, July 21, 2023

THANKS TO BIRDS AND BEES



Two hundred years ago, millions of birds took to the air flying in what is called a murmuration. In the fall, I occasionally see starlings take to the sky in twirling masses. A million, probably not. Those millions of birds are long gone used for food, plumage on hats, or poisoned by us because they were considered a nuisance. That is why the birds in our yard seem precious to us. We have had the chance to witness their lives as they fly from the feeders to the water fountain, tend babies, and chase each other around the yard. We've had quail, doves, goldfinches, and robin's nests in our yard over the years, and now we have another nest built within the leaves of a potted plant near our kitchen window. The newest birds, startled when I opened the window near them, haven't been back to tend to their perfectly constructed nest. They left behind one speckled egg.




At lunch, Bill and I watch for the two swallowtails, part of the generations of swallowtails that visit our yard every summer. They flit from one spot to another, hovering, but rarely landing on any plant. There are always two, not three or four, and their offspring come back each year.




Not having enough time lately to do much art, I've been sifting through my portfolio stored on my computer. I found drawings and watercolor sketches of the animals and insects that visit our yard. I also came across a diagram of what has lived on this property since the dinosaurs ventured out of these hills.




We are moving after 40 years in our home. When I think of the things I will miss, besides the friends who have become treasures, I think of the birds and other animals who populate our yard. I watched as one bird picked at some straw that I left out for them. The bird scattered the straw over the porch and bushes and took off with pieces in its beak. Yesterday a small rabbit wandered into our yard and this morning I startled a Jack rabbit who bounded up the hill. We are lucky to see rabbits once or twice a year. Like turkeys or voles they could be a problem; but, for now, these moments leave me with a sense of wonder.

We are moving temporarily to a beach community while we search for another home. The weather will be different from Danville, which just had its first heat wave of the summer. We may experience the morning fog that hugs the coast this time of year. We hope to find other birds and animals around us. We hope to stay connected with friends while we find that new, perfect place called home.

 

3 comments:

  1. try Watsonville. good coastal climate, older neighborhoods east of downtown. Not gentrified yet. Or Corralitos, more rural. Great growing area. Fertile soils and water. I once lived up Old San Jose Rd, but do not recognize my once rural road now (Olive Springs) the whole of Monterey Bay is a *magical* area. When visiting, I stay at a rental in Cachagua, up in the hills east of Carmel Vlly Village. At Rose's Bunkhouse. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. teejay, thanks so much for continuing to read my blog. Now after reading your comments here, I want to know more about your life too. And yes, please share Racoon with your friend. I was surprised to read the suggestions in Monterey County that I hadn't heard of before. I'm a born-and-raised Californian, but I learn something new every day!

      Delete
  2. Martha, may I share your racoon painting with a friend? She lives in Baton Rouge and is grandma to a family of raccoons, first helping them out when pregnant mama 'Diane' got washed out by a bad flood. Now on to the 3rd generation. She consults with a wildlife rehabber.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.