Friday, September 16, 2022

SMALL, MEDIUM, AND LARGE


Sketch of the planet Earth


A long time ago, I tried to construct a 3-D art piece that moved around in circles. I wanted to attach flags and other symbols to a motor that would turn the symbols around and around. I scoured antique shops looking for something with a motor that moved slowly enough so I could build my contraption. I never found the right motor. Everything, such as fans or turntables, moved too fast and my flags and other objects would have been spinning in a blur. 

sketch of a motorized 3-D piece


Years later I came across a clock whose designer had perfectly answered my quest. The unknown artist had attached a small figure on a wire to the workings of a battery-operated clock. The figure slowly moved around in a circle as the clock ticked. I laughed in delight at the character and the wonderful solution to a problem that I had worked on too.


Clock produced by Jeco, artist unknown


"Small, Medium, Large," the theme for this year's Pacific Art League's annual member show, made me step back and wonder what kind of artwork the show wanted. The theme seemed wide open for any response to the call. I could just send in a painting that fit the size requirements; but to be accepted in the show, I thought I needed to do more than that. I needed to show the idea behind the meanings of the title or as Plate said, "The orangeness of an orange."

The PAL show has been a good place for me to exhibit my work. Last year the gallery displayed online all 500 pieces that they accepted for their online exhibit. This year, the exhibit is once again in person and will be juried with fewer pieces chosen. I was intrigued by the theme and thought of the class I had taken with Janet Takahashi, a calligrapher who does beautiful tiny paintings. That gave me an idea.


Sketch for another view of earth


Sometimes ideas pan out well. Sometimes my skills at a particular moment (such as that motorized idea from long ago) just can't create what I hoped to make. The process is fun and challenging either way. This is my idea for the show: within a two-inch square, I painted a view of the earth. Now I am going to layer several pieces of 12-inch square foam board, each with a two-inch square cut from the middle, which I will place on top of my view of the earth. Once those pieces are stacked, I will attach three figures looking down from the top layer to the earth below. I am hoping this will convey the idea that even something as large as the earth can be small if viewed from far away.


Sketches for the 3 figures looking down at the Earth

I hope it works. No moving parts are needed. Just a steady cutting hand to cut out the figures. The painting may not be accepted in the juried show, but it will be fun to put it all together. 







Janet Takahashi offers workshops in calligraphy and art journaling:

https://janettakahashi.com/classes-workshops-retreats/

4 comments:

  1. From DeeDee by email: I loved this article!! Your moving piece really intrigued me, and wanting to help out, I thought of the little mechanism that runs a music box, and sometimes a little ballerina. I believe it is similar to the workings of a wind-up gramophone or even a player piano. I envisioned the little inside of the music box on its side with a platform attached on the top round part. Wheeee...that could turn your tiny creations around as well as playing music!!!

    The Small, Medium, and Large concept also grabbed me. One of my favorite places to spend time is an old-style hardware store. I'd wander through the aisle with all the paint chips, marveling at how minutely incremental each color change was, and appreciating how the difference between 2 chips could determine whether a room would work or just miss the mark. But my favorite area was the tools and the hardware supplies in all their little bins and drawers. I could spend hours searching through the shelves, discovering the smallest bolt and the largest bolt, the smallest washer and the largest washer, the smallest nut and the largest nut. The most satisfying find was a teeny-tiny wrench and a big, honking wrench that I could barely lift.

    In my mind, I created my entry for the show with all that hardware arranged into a work of art. Even though I seldom bothered with medium stuff when at the hardware store, I would need to add medium sizes to my creation, too, giving them credit for existing. If you see any entries with a similar theme, let me know. It would be fun to know that there is someone else who shares one of my quirks. 🙃

    I also would love to see your view of earth when it is done. What a profound idea!! Perspective is such an integral part of everything we see and do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DeeDee, for your sharing about the idea behind Small, Medium and Large. Especially about your investigation of the multiple drawers in old-time hardware stores (one of my favorite places to explore too!)

      Delete
  2. From Mary by email: You touched on a lot of subjects this week. The most disturbing is the banned books campaign. What next? I loved your stencil pastels, another idea for your Craft Day making ventures.
    As always thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Mary. Thanks for continuing to read my posts!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.