Friday, March 25, 2022

PROMPTS

Photo by Bill Slavin

 Who inspires you? 

A prompt from my writers' group made me think of Dorothea Dix, Jane Addams, both early social workers, and Mary Poppins. Real and imaginary people. Today, Barbara Lane, a San Francisco Chronicle columnist, reminded me about Brenda Starr, Ace Reporter, the main character in a comic strip, who had her own career and traversed the world for a story. Barbara Lane wrote that reading the Brenda Starr stories inspired her to become a journalist. Brenda Starr was one of a few main female characters in a time when someone like Barry Goldwater could say, "I have nothing against a woman doing anything a man can do as long as she gets home in time to cook dinner."

Prompts take me down different paths as I search for an idea for a post. As I listen to another tender story from one of the writers in the writers' group, I think how the message of her connection to the restful and soothing effects of water resonates with so many of us. Other people feel the same kinship with mountains or they find solace in their gardens. In each case, the connection is to the natural world. There are always exceptions to what provides well-being. A friend who grew up in Tokyo feels uncomfortable in parks or out in the woods. She found her place in the hustle and bustle of the concrete city instead. Where do you find inspiration and solace?


Photo by Bill Slavin


In the weeks that our group meets, many themes tumble out onto the page. One woman chronicles her life at 19 in a big city, another writes of her birthplace and how the land raised her. Another records stories of the struggles of being an outsider/refugee with a close family for support. Each of these themes prompts me to think of events in my own life that could be a post. You don't have to be a writer to think about any of the following prompts:

What book from your childhood had an impact on you?

What is a favorite magical spot?

What do you carry with you?

What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you end up doing it? If not, what happened? If so, was it what you expected?

I hope these prompts will open up memories that give you insight into yourself.  If writing works for you, write down your thoughts. Make a list. Record your thoughts on tape. If you draw or paint, use these prompts or find inspiration in Bill's photos to begin a page about your life.


Photo by Bill Slavin


2 comments:

  1. I loved hearing about how listening to other writers' stories and the writing prompts in our Friday Writers' group inspired you--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the inspiration we all get from you, Elizabeth. Thank you.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.