Friday, October 1, 2021

CURIOSITIES



With Autumn here, trees get a lot of attention. People plant trees as memorials to loved ones. On a larger scale, the organization One Tree Planted has planted over a million trees around the world. They have provided meaningful employment as well as worked towards their goal of affecting climate change. The significance of trees has caught the imagination of writers with books such as The Overstory, The Long, Long Life of Trees, and Finding the Mother Tree.



Trees are also the focus of the Treewhispers project created by Pamela Paulsrud, an artist and calligrapher, who works with groups to make paper rounds from shredded recycled paper. The wet pulp is spread inside small hoops. Once the paper is dry, each person writes a short story about their relationship with trees. The group attaches the circles to long cords. Pamela has created exhibits around the world using the thousands of circles she has collected. Her latest project included the Kalligrafos Calligraphy Guild. After making circles, the group suspended the rounds on long cords in the winter forest of the Thomas & Brenda Burns' property. People could then walk through the forest of trees and paper circles.



My vista is smaller. I've been picking leaves off the ground as I walk the neighborhood. I've discovered that we have 5 different kinds of oak trees on our street. I've collected red and black oak leaves, both deciduous oaks, and evergreen live oak, valley oak, and possibly netleaf leaves. The leaves of the deciduous and evergreen oaks are quite different, and I questioned why all these trees are classified as oak trees. Lucky for me, Google exists. I discovered numerous societies and studies dedicated to oaks. As I read through the information, I realized, once again, that real research on any subject takes time. A casual researcher like me can find possible answers from experts, but there is always lots more to learn and to verify by collecting data, comparing samples, and asking more questions.

Thinking back to my old science lessons, I assumed that trees could be identified by their leaves and bark. I had forgotten about cross-pollination and how important that is in the life of trees. Looking at the many oak trees in our neighborhood, especially along a creek, I laughed at the idea of these trees busily hybridizing themselves.




My next question: why are the leaves of the deciduous and evergreen trees so different? After reading many fact-filled articles, I concluded that deciduous trees use their leaves as protection from the wind, which is why their leaves are thinner and deeply lobed (valley oaks).  Evergreen oaks need protection from temperature changes so their leaves are smaller and thicker (live oak).

Big or small, our relationship with trees spans centuries. We climb them, we are sustained by their acorns and fruits, we build with their wood and use the wood for heating, we play with wooden toys, we plant them to provide windscreens to protect our crops, and we use the galls and nuts to make ink. 

Best of all, the last question is: 
What better way to spend a hot afternoon than under the shadow of a sheltering tree?



Good sources to understand tree identification:

https://calscape.org/loc-California/Quercus(all)/vw-list/np-0? 

https://www.hellis.biz/why-do-different-trees-have-different-shaped-leaves/

https://www.internationaloaksociety.org/content/hybridization-quercus-seen-through-eyes-enthusiast

https://lizzieharper.co.uk/2013/10/botanical-illustration-compound-and-simple-leaves/

Check out Pamela Paulsrud's Treewhispers' blog:

https://treewhispers.com

Vimeos of Treewhispers exhibits:

https://vimeo.com/340542783

https://vimeo.com/612638534

Check out the Kalligrafos Calligraphy Guild:

https://kaligrafos.com

YouTube video about OneTreePlanted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC7QsnezCLc

13 comments:

  1. Lovely and fascinating, as always, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Letty by email: I have been in love with trees since my childhood of living on a golf course. Our ‘plains’ state trees really have to be hardy to bend with the winds and often extremes in weather. I’ve put The Overstory on hold while I read my two books fir book club.
    Overstory is a slow mover, but I like the way he integrates our current new knowledge of how trees communicate and grow socially.
    I especially like your art ideas. I haven’t made paper since teaching grade school yeas ago. It was always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Letty. I like paper making too. Much easier than you would think. I agree that the Overstory is a slow read, but worth the time.

      Delete
  3. From Katalin on FB: Very Zen.

    Reply: Katalin, I hope so. I think trees exemplify Zen teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Jane on FB: I love the path you take us on, in words and images. And I would love to be sitting under a tree with you on a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. I appreciate your comments so much. Today would be a good day to sit under a tree: hot in the sun, cool in the shade.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Martha, for spreading the love of trees and sharing Kaligrafos own little journey of Treewhispers. It had it's ups and downs and twists and turns but in the end it all came together and stood strong like a mighty Oak that can be oh, so stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I shared what Kaligrafos has done with Treewhispers. It is a beautiful exhibit.

      Delete
  6. From Sharol on FB: Thanks for another great article, Martha! Don’t forget hugging trees and forest bathing as worthy pastimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I first heard about tree bathing when we were living in Japan. It's great to sit up next to a tree and be quiet. You can feel the energy from the tree. Thanks again for reading and sharing my blog.

      Delete
  7. From Pamela Paulsrud: Martha, your Blog post is truly wonderful (!!!) and ever so inspiring.
    I absolutely love your curiosity, tender renderings, inclusive information—the entire presentation! Grateful for the mention!

    The feedback from Letty, sweet and confirming your voice in the community. (Always nice to know you've been heard!) Thank you for reaching out to Thomas, I'm certain of his appreciation.

    And now, would love to circle back to you—and share your post on the TW blog! —with your permission of course:-)

    Wanted to let you know too that I recently heard an interview with Doug Tallamy on Oaks (The Nature of Oaks). In seeing your images, I think you would love it!

    Together in trees!
    Warmly, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your note, Pamela. I would be honored to have this post published on the TreeWhispers site!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.