Friday, September 10, 2021

BRUSHES PAPER PAINT



 On a quest to paint a flower on a postcard each day this month, I ran into a problem with a box of postcard-sized watercolor paper that I had purchased recently, the result of walking into an art store and being unable to resist grabbing new supplies. I thought, when I saw the box of EtchrLab postcards, "This is just what I need." 50 sheets of pre-cut postcard-sized paper in a nice black box (organizational tools also intrigue me).

With watercolor, three supplies matter: the quality of brushes, paper, and paint. I've experimented with all of these to find which ones work for me. Of the three, I think the quality of the paper makes the biggest difference. Watercolor paper comes as either student-grade made from wood pulp (not recommended except for sketches), or professional-grade, made from 100% cotton and acid-free. Watercolor paper comes in three different textures: smooth Hot Press, somewhat textured Cold Press, and Rough. Watercolor paper also comes in three different weights: 90lb/190gsm, 140lb/300gsm, or 300lb/640gsm. The pounds and grams per square meter were determined by weighing 500 sheets of 22" X 30" paper. That's a lot to consider for one piece of paper.




There are many brands of watercolor paper: Strathmore, Arches, Fabriano, Saunders Waterford, and Hahnemuhle, which are some of the most well-known. Each has qualities that attract different painters. I've tried as many as I could by purchasing sample packets from online art supply stores. I finally chose Saunders Waterford (SW). Similar to Fabriano, SW allows me to push the paint around the surface, lift up the paint, and even remove paint almost back to its original white. I've been using it for a while and have learned its many characteristics.





I used SW to paint the group of flowers from Filoli. I decided to paint the Echinacea again on the new postcard paper. "Whoa," I said, "This paper doesn't react at all like the SW."  First, the Etchr paper didn't seem to have any sizing, a gelatin that is smoothed over most watercolor paper to make absorption more consistent. Instead, the water from my brush soaked through the paper to the back. The paint dried quickly, not allowing me to push it around. "Oh, boy," I said, "Is this going to work or not?" 




I played with the flower some more being careful to feather the edges of each brushstroke so I didn't get a hard line where I didn't want it. I kept thinking, "Am I wasting my time?" But I finished the flower and set it aside to thoroughly dry. I was surprised later. The finished postcard looked similar to the one on the SW paper. Lesson learned though. Good quality paper actually makes painting easier.


****************

This week has been a week of remembrances about 9/11. 

We all recall where we were on that day.

Yard 44 and NBC Studios have created a documentary called Memory Box: Echoes of 9/11, which revisits the people who participated in artist Ruth Sergel's 2002 Memory Box creation. The original film showed the people speaking about their personal accounts of 9/11. They have returned in 2021 to reflect on the last 20 years.

It is available on Peacock and well worth seeing:  https://deadline.com/2021/07/9-11-msnbc-peacock-memory-box-1234797251/

6 comments:

  1. From Mary by email: I react the same way when I enter a craft store and look at tools and supplies. I LOVE adding to my overly abundant stash of crafting supplies and tools. It’s hard to walk away and convince myself not to make the purchase. I also enjoyed how you shared your concise descriptions of each type of paper and what you were experiencing as you painted on each as well as lessons learned. As always, I really enjoy your writing.
    Reply: Thanks, Mary, for always reading my blog. As a quilter, I know you have the same reaction in a crafts store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Kaye on FB: I had no idea how much of a difference the paper can make! Beautiful watercolors.
    Reply: Thank you, Kaye, good paper really makes it easier. Thanks for reading my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Terri on FB: I've noticed such a difference in paper. I bought stathmore cards/envelopes and they are not the best for the paint, but convenient to paint cards. I should just use good paper!
    Reply: yes, the paper does make a difference. Go for good paper, brushes, and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Jane on FB: You're right, tools make all the difference in whether you struggle to get what you want or if it is easier. But don't discount your talents, you always create such beautiful images Martha - stunning!!
    Reply: What can I say, other than thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your day-brightening flowers, Martha. Keep up the lovely work of a-flower-a-day! Those monthly challenges always seem to work a special kind of magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. Yes, I think painting, writing, and drawing with a particular focus each day makes a difference in encouraging creative thought! Thanks for reading my post.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.