Friday, July 30, 2021

SUMMER BLOOMS



 Do you know someone who has friendships that go back to their early childhood? I mean the kind of friendship that is more than just sending holiday cards once a year?

I once taught with someone who married her next-door neighbor, someone she had known since they were both toddlers. When I knew her, they both were in their 50s, still married, and enjoying life together. I know others who have kept friendships alive since school days by meeting for museum visits, long weekends of quilting, or going to spring training. To me, maintaining long friendships is a marvelous ability to cultivate in a lifetime. And not always easy to do.

Before the pandemic, when we used to meet in person frequently, we followed the rules of being friends: looking past our quirks because we liked being with the person. The pandemic shut down meeting in person for most of us. Zoom offered a different window into keeping friendships alive, but it didn't give us a solid enough connection to help us overlook those quirks and irritations that surface between friends.

Now that the restrictions for vaccinated people have been lifted, friends and I attempt to meet. Two longtime friends, both artists and writers, who I have known since before my son was born, met for lunch for only the second time since June. In the rush of getting back to activities, we had had a hard time finding time to get together. We grew a little irritated at not being able to find a good day. Finally, this week we walked into the patio of a restaurant and laughed when we saw each other. We were all wearing similar blue patterned outfits, two of us had hats, we all had flat-heeled shoes, and, most of all, we were all glad to see each other again. We talked of books we were reading, Netflix shows, gardening, children, grandchildren, promising adventures we could plan, and we reached out past those little quirks that we all have that we know don't really matter because the person next to us is more important than any little differences that might come up in a long time friendship. Most of all, we remembered what it means to have good friends.




19 comments:

  1. From Letty by email: Good for you. Lifetime friendships are a life line to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Letty by email: Good for you. Lifetime friendships are a life line to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Letty, for your comments. Friendships are so important, even online ones!
      Check out Letty's blog at What fun life can be with the right attitude.

      Delete
  3. From Mary by email: Oh, so true. Your words warmed my heart and made me feel so fortunate that I have many treasured friendships, yours especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I feel the same way about our long friendship!

      Delete
  4. From Joan by email: I am so touched by your words and the sketch. What a wonderful way to frame a beautiful gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Anne on FB:
    My friend Sandy was a month & 3 days older than me. We lived across the street from each other & continued our friendship through the last 74 years. She passed away this year. There is a definitely a void in my life. God bless old friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I am so sorry to hear about Sandy. Old friendships are so dear.

      Delete
  6. from Jane on FB: Friendships are golden, irreplaceable. So glad you were able to find a time for all of you to get together! Your painting is stunning Martha, so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, you are so right. And you have friends who you've known since childhood. What a great connection to have!

      Delete
  7. From Cheryl by email: What a great meeting with your friends!

    My longest friends are from the 7th grade and we used to get together 3-4 times a year. One moved to Reno to be near their son, the other lives in Livermore, the pandemic hit, and it has been hard to get together with our new lives getting in the way.

    I understand and I am grateful for our longtime friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, longtime friendships are something to treasure (and more recent one are too!)

      Delete
  8. As I learned in Girl Scouts, "make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other, gold." And I love the connection between your two art pieces here. Beautiful, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa, for the reminder of that jingle. I learned that in GS too! I appreciate your reading my posts. Cheers.

      Delete
  9. From Isabel on FB: A wonderful post on friendship and lighthouses. Our friends create light in our lives. I’ve been blessed with wonderful friends. You are a talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Isabel, for reading my post and taking the time to comment. I've received some wonderful stories about friendships.

      Delete
  10. From Kim on FB: I loved your post this week. Friendships are a huge part of my life in fact, I believe they are the solid glue. I have friends that I keep in contact with that I have known since kindergarten. I like to think of them as a gift. Our memories are etched in the wrinkles on my face and the laugh lines around my eyes. I will treasure them forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Kim, that you have friendships going back to kindergarten. You really have a gift for friendship.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.