Friday, August 7, 2020

WHEN WOMEN SUPPORT EACH OTHER





Nine years ago, a group of friends came together at my home for Craft Day. We worked on the unfinished projects that we all had hidden away in drawers and closets. The group has changed over time as some people have moved on. Still, there are sometimes as many as thirteen people at Craft Day, sometimes just four. Whether we have a crowd or just a few, we come away with more work accomplished and also with the joy of friendship. Until SIP, we have met once a month since that beginning in 2011.

Some of us did not do crafts in the beginning, but gradually tried making cards or fabric garlands or brought coloring books. After a couple of hours of work and conversation, we stopped for Stone Salad, a variation on the old story about Stone Soup. Each person brought one item to add to the salad greens. We had a homemade soup as well as other goodies that crafters brought.

We all miss our Friday Craft Days, but I discovered through an email to everyone that most of the Craft Day participants have used the shelter-in-place time to be productive in some way. What a joy for me to see what they have been working on.

Marcia, always looking for a craft, has started weaving pine needles into baskets. Her tightly woven beginnings in this photo is beautiful all by itself.


by Marcia
Two members have been taking online watercolor classes. Terri takes classes through Let's Make Art on Facebook. She has been someone who claims she isn't artistic, but I am amazed at the work she has accomplished in only a few months.


by Terri

by Terri



Micki uses fabrics and other materials for her thoughtful media pieces, including this delightful pillow. Now she is also taking watercolor classes online. Her sketches of watermelon slices are reminders of hot summer days, of sipping iced tea on my grandparents' back patio, of spitting the black seeds out into the garden in hopes that a "Watermelon Tree" might grown in the next season.





by Micki





















Mary, a prolific quilter and card maker, has produced two beautiful quilts and many cards. Her cards remind me of her precise quilting style. She has also put her pen to postcards and letters encouraging people across the country to register to vote.



2 Quilts by Mary

cards by Mary

Debi looks on Pinterest and other sites for good craft ideas. She loves to make decorations for each holiday, including this flag container and the fabric garland to place on a mantel.


crafts by Debi

Pam, who has many projects, wrote:
"It's so fun learning how everyone is keeping busy.
I started organizing everything in my pathway.
After that I started cooking everyday (love my new Ninja Foodi!)
I've been gardening including experimenting with an old, sprouted potato.
I learned to color my own hair and practiced while my sister visited.
And then I thought it only fair that Chloe (the cat) also got a new Summer do."





"But mostly I've been card making. With each card, I challenge myself to practice new techniques such as ink and texture blending, making 3D cards, hand printing and drawing." 



3D Cards by Pam






Pam ended her comments by saying, "Thanks for letting me share. Back to talking to myself again!"

During this time of sheltering in place, masks on, physically distancing from each other, I know that I am sometimes overwhelmed, lethargic, but also buoyed by the people I know. I am heartened by this group of friends who used to come together once a month and continue to stay creative in a difficult time. Perhaps our Craft Days have carried us through this time to continue to challenge ourselves to find hidden talents.


Check out Let's Make Art's website at: https://www.letsmakeart.com









2 comments:

  1. Your crafting friends inspire me! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. You could be in this group too, Elizabeth!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.