Friday, May 22, 2020

COLLECTING PERSPECTIVE

Every scrap of paper is a possibility. Every piece of art needs a new perspective.



Accidental Landscape # 50

I collect scraps of paper that most people would discard. I save  the wax paper that I separate art pieces with while I press them flat, the newspaper I lay under a painting I'm working on, torn pieces of tissue paper, and old maps.  I keep them because I know they can be turned into collage art.


A Stack of papers with a blue theme


I am not the only collector, of course. Collages have been an important technique through the ages. The oldest examples come from China and Japan when calligraphers layered pieces of paper over a surface to add background to their text. Picasso, Matisse and Braque all used collage as a major part of their work.

Crystal Neubauer is a mixed media artist whose work I admire. Her collages remind me of art pieces by Kurt Schwitters and Hannah Hoch, both collage artists who used torn paper to create abstract paintings. I've been taking Neubauer's Facebook class for the last couple of weeks and find I have the same question with my mixed media pieces as I do with watercolor. When do I stop?

Before the class, I unearthed a stack of scrap paper that I've saved because I like their texture or subtlety. They are easy to put together as a collage grouping because their colors are similar. I tend to add pieces of old maps, music paper, and circles---common themes that appear in my mixed media work.




One of my stacks of scraps







Some pieces, like this one, start our vertically. I keep adding layers, but nothing clicks to tell me that I am finished. The design seemed unsettled and incomplete. I stop for the day and place my work-in-progress on the floor so that I can see it from a distance. Sometimes, distance is what I need to gain a new perspective on a piece. I take a photo and wait for tomorrow.


Longing Belonging

I walk back into my workroom the next day. I check on my photo library on my computer. I see once again that the photo is upside down. Because I am left handed, I click the button on my phone with my left hand, which makes them upside down on the computer. Seeing them from a different perspective made me realize that I needed to alter my design by switching from portrait to landscape orientation. With that small adjustment, this collage said, "I'm finished."

This next piece started vertically. I switched it to horizontal. The final rendition is upside down from the original.












Sometimes, a piece starts vertically, and will remain so. It feels pleasing to the eye. Sometimes, pieces, like these small collages, move from one position to another to find the way that suddenly connects them together. Sometimes pieces stay scattered around my workroom for a long time till that happens. That's why it hard to know when something is finished.


?
Which way works?

       
Not finished yet


Check out  the works of these two contemporary artists who lead workshops in their techniques:
Crystal Neubauer: https://crystalneubauer.com/home.html
Donna Watson:  http://www.donnawatsonart.com

Collage artists from the 20th Century:
Kurt Schwitter:  http://www.artnet.com/artists/kurt-schwitters/
Hannah Hoch:  https://www.moma.org/artists/2675#works



While we are still sheltering-in-place or have discovered the value of working at home, I recommend the following art instructors who offer classes on Facebook, Zoom or online:

Roxanne Stout:  https://www.roxanneevansstout.com  (collage artist)
Sheri Blaukopf:  https://shariblaukopf.com  (watercolor)
John Muir Laws:  https://johnmuirlaws.com/journaling-curriculum/  (nature journaling)



6 comments:

  1. From Mary by email: Your insight falls in line with what I do with quilting. Sorting like colors, trying different orientations, walking away and redoing until it pleases me. Isn’t Art a wonderful outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing art of any kind makes a difference in my life, for sure. Thank you for reading my posts, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Toni by email: loved this article. My art group has been talking about collage techniques & this was a perfect example to share. I also shared the magazine. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Toni. I know your art group is so creative. I'm sure they will come up with some interesting collages.

      Delete
  4. From FG by email: I wanted to tell you how much I love Postcards in the Air! I was not good at going to the web-site; and then one day I saw I could sign up to have your Friday masterpieces sent to my e-mail. I did that -- and am so happy I did. I appreciate you every week -- and love the topics you choose. The one about your dad and your mom was very special. Please tell Bill his photographs when you are not drawing are perfect. Congratulations on having your work published. Keep up the excellent work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, FG. You made my day today! Thanks for reading my blog posts.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.