Friday, April 3, 2020

MORE TIME, MORE WALKS



by Bill Slavin

In reading op-ed pieces and messages from friends, I've noticed the tone of our sequestering has changed. Two themes stand out to me. First, besides the demands for needed medical supplies, for many people, this is a time to reassess our country's values; and secondly, this is a time on a more personal note, to either take advantage of the long, uninterrupted moments to do major projects or to let go of that desire to always be busy. Or maybe many realize that we can do both. 

Which of these appeals to you?




by Bill Slavin


I've been reading Robert MacFarlane's book, The Old Ways, part of a trilogy about his walks across Britain, across Spain while avoiding the Camino de Santiago, across parts of Tibet into China, and across parts of Palestine. He describes in detail his encounters with the natural world and with the other walkers he meets. He also investigates who the walkers were who led him to these trails. He describes footprints left thousands of years ago on a path near the sea. He is always looking for the wildest places left on Earth.



Mushrooms emerging



Bill and I create our own path on our daily walks on the same two-mile stretch of asphalt road that winds around and ends at a dirt path leading up to Mt. Diablo. The trail up to the mountain has been used by hikers for as long as we have lived here. In the last couple of years, mountain bikers discovered the trail. They whiz by our windows on their way home. As we walk, we don't make an impression on the asphalt that would let others know we had been there. We will be wisps without a trace, like the wind blowing leaves away.

A Spanish saying, "To walk is to gather treasure," reminds me of all that we have seen while walking. We have seen Spring unfurl each day as tender leaves sprout and grow.  We notice how the grass shoots up along the paths made by the deer that forage in our neighborhood. The deer trails disappear in the summer as the grass grows taller. The woodpeckers have rat-ta-tated holes like Morse code across the trims on several houses along the road.






Bill has been looking for faces in the bark of trees. He has found some to photograph.


by Bill Slavin

by Bill Slavin


We listen to the throngs of bees in our Japanese maples and count the ones feasting on the rosemary blooms down the street. We wonder where the beehives could be. As we walk home we hear a crescendo of buzzing. We look up a hill and a swarm of thousands of bees erupts from an oak and sails across the hillside. They vanish into the grass and all we hear is the buzz again.




A wild turkey calls out and spreads its tail feather at a female nearby. Two deer look across the road, hesitate as we advance, and then turn and duck under the scrub by the creek. We watch crows gathering twigs from the tallest branches of the sycamores out in front of our house.  Neither of us was quick enough to catch a photo of the grey fox that hopped into our yard and sent the squirrels chattering with warnings. We wave at neighbors as they take advantage of a warm sunny day to walk. We sigh. Our time outside gives us a touch of spring and a respite from the news that surrounds us every day.



by Bill Slavin

Stay safe and stay well.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Martha, and gorgeous photos by Bill! Bob and I have been walking the streets of Oakland and the hills of Inverness, too, admiring the birds and blooms and earthy smells. You guys stay safe and well, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth, I'm glad you are out walking too. We notice more and more even on the same route. Stay safe.

      Delete
  2. I find that having a project really helps. I have always wanted more stretches of time for my genealogy and now I have had the time to research the two American families I didn't know I had. We walk a great deal too and are finding lightly-used pathways that we did not know existed. Every day I note new blooms along our way both wild and planted. On one of our pathways someone has created a scavenger hunt and more and more people are beginning to `chalk the walk' with uplifting messages. Take care all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with having projects. I've noticed people who don't have them are having a harder time adjusting. Looking up geneology would be a good one to do while we're indoors and its raining. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill's first photo could win a photo contest! I have found that weeding has been meditative for me. And I have weeded areas of our yard that I haven't ever touched in the 31 years we have been here!! I feel very much at peace these days and am lookig forward to the coming month when I hope to send half the day outside in the garden and half inside going through my boxes of papers that I have had in my closet for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the meditative photos and words. I'm so grateful to be able to get outside and enjoy my yard and neighborhood each day. Even standing beneath the eaves and listening to the rain this morning was a joy. Stay healthy and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm missing long walks through the trees and trails. But I do appreciate more time in the mornings and evenings--and sometimes mid-afternoon--to think and meditate. The pics are all amazing. I need Bill to give me some tips. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.