Friday, March 13, 2020

LET YOUR INNER INTROVERT OUT


Hellebore by Martha Slavin
One art project finished!


While living in Tokyo, our son Theo and I stopped once a week at the small, crowded ice cream stand on our way home from Theo's school. We would order cones and sit in front of the store while we savored every bite.

One day as we sat, a younger friend of Theo's and his dad walked by. The boy sneezed and coughed profusely as he waved at Theo. I groaned. The boy was too sick to be outside. Two days later I had his cold.


White Rose by Martha Slavin


I catch colds easily. I always have. I've never gotten a mild cold either. Just when I think I'm getting better, the cold rebounds and develops into one of the hosts of bacterial infections that qualify for antibiotics. I've used up my share of antibiotics while spending weeks getting over something as simple as a cold.



Pink Tulip with Rain Drop by Martha Slavin


So, no I won't be participating in group activities for the next couple of weeks. I'm self-quarantined as much as possible. I may be paranoid, but unless I know that I can be safe in gatherings even from a simple cold, I will stay home. I hope you are taking precautions for yourself as well.




Two Tulips by Martha Slavin


Maybe the news about Corvid-19 will make other people think hard before they go out in public when they are sick, not just with this new virus, but with common colds and flu. I know I have been guilty of going out too soon and I have spread my germs around others. I know we need to take action to provide paid sick leave and other benefits especially for low-income workers, so they don't have to show up for work while they are sick. But, maybe with Corvid-19 reminding us how quickly viruses can spread, we all will stop and think about how our health can end up infecting others.

While I'm home, I'm getting a lot of art projects and writing finished in the meantime. I am counting on you to be doing the same. Stay safe and stay well.



10 comments:

  1. Stay well. I understand. Glad you are able to make art. Beautiful, By the way. I love your style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine, for your comments about my artwork. As a fellow artist, I know time is important to make art. The upside of social distancing is the time to make art.

      Delete
  2. From Mona by email: I LOVED your watercolors you sent today! Gorgeous, especially the first one. And you're right about learning from the Coronavirus to not spread our germs to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mona, for your kind comments. I hope we will all learn something from this health crisis.

      Delete
  3. Your hellebore is exquisite, thanks. Stay in and make art!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Ann. The hellebore was one of my favorites to paint -- it just came out on the paint without inner criticism. Projects galore for the next few weeks. Stay safe.

      Delete
  4. Love your Hellebore watercolor. Beautiful colors. So peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tena. I wanted to show paintings that were calming this past Friday. we all need to spend time in the nature right now. Just avoid the other people doing the same! Stay safe.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the beautiful bouquet of watercolors. I feel calmer already. Stay healthy and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay healthy, and Teresa, thank you for reading the post. I thought we needed something quiet and calm to look at this week.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.