Friday, January 25, 2019

MAKING YOUR MARK

Marks made with balsa wood tool




I am not a calligrapher. I love to do hand lettering, which is drawing letters instead of writing them as calligraphers do. I practice to improve my letterforms, but I couldn't make a living as a calligrapher as some people do. That said, at the annual Trivial Pursuits put on by the Friends of Calligraphy last week, I tried my hand at using a folded or cola pen. Folded pens are a cheap alternative to a ruling pen, formerly used by graphic designers and drafters to rule straight lines. You can make your own cola pen by cutting out a half moon shape from a soft drink can, shape it over a narrow handle, and then attach it to the handle. I've tried folded pens before, but I haven't had much luck with them.  I love the free-form look of the writing.



Ruling pen & folded or cola pen



Alphabet made with a folded pen

During TP I sat with six other people and Rick Paulus, a former White House calligrapher (yes, people do make a living as calligraphers) who loves working with a ruling pen. He asked us to bring in a saying we could write. I tried to think of something short that I could attempt. "Begin Again" came to mind. After manhandling a few practice sheets, I decided my best bet was to use the pointed end of the pen and to write in my own handwriting. I also decided to repeat the phrase over and over again within a square. When I was almost finished, I accidentally dragged my left sleeve across the still-wet ink, a common problem for lefties. Looking at the page, I thought how ironic to have chosen the phrase "Begin Again."


My attempt at a folded pen saying.
The two phrases outside the square need to be stretched out.
I will do this piece over again until I am satisfied with the results.


What did I take away from the workshop? To remember to let go of my own expectations, to try something new and realize that practice is the key, and have fun doing all of that.

Calligraphers have found other ways to make marks on a page beside traditional pen and ink. For  me, these tools provide more freedom and a step away from the meticulous calligraphic practice. Twigs, tooth cleaners, tongue depressors, car detailing brushes, bamboo and balsa wood can become instruments in the artist's hands. The marks made start out as letters, then become exaggerated or condensed, strung out or boxed in close.





Lots of options for making marks on the page



Here are some examples of mark making with various tools. Each of them started with letters or words.




Letter G made with a folded pen, sumi ink and watercolor ink





Made with stippling brush, paint brush,
round piece of wood shaved to a point, sumi ink, walnut ink



Made with an alder twig



Various brushes & sumi ink



 Check out these two masters of mark making:

http://www.rickpauluscalligraphy.com/the-white-house-1/

http://www.yukimiannand.com/yukimia/calligraphy.html

8 comments:

  1. Gee G whiz is Wizard Martha penning posts with pen point letters. The colored G has made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your alliterations made me chuckle. Thanks, Jan, for being a whimsical reader.

      Delete
  2. FROM JOAN (sent by email): The blog post is fascinating...who knew there were so many ways to consider Palmer Penmanship beyond the circle 000000000? Not me! Thanks for this post. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joan, for your comments and your good humor about penmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FROM MARY by email: It looks like a really interesting workshop. One theme I continue to take from your blogs is to lower your expectations and allow yourself to explore your creativity. Sometimes a hard thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary, for your thoughtful comments. I am glad you can find something to take with you from my postings.

      Delete
  5. "Begin Again": words to live by! And I love your folded pen alphabet, so angular and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you,Teresa. Begin Again is one of my favorite expressions. Try some mark making with what you find around you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.