Friday, December 14, 2018

GHOST PRINTS




A windy, wet day. Leaves and bark strewn across the slick sidewalk. 

I looked down to see darker images of leaves imprinted on the wet pavement. Rust-colored smears, like patches of blood, have leached from tree bark. The marks remind me of ghost prints in printmaking. I wondered if these natural impressions inspired the first printmakers.




When I make prints from an etching plate, I can run the plate through the press a second time to get a ghost print of the image. Sometimes the ghost image is more interesting, sometimes not. To experiment pushes me look at my pre-conceived ideas in different ways.


my original design to convey movement


the final print with a ghost print under the inked-plate print.
The image now dances across the page.


Gelli plate printing, an easier printing technique than etching, can also produce ghost prints with great details. The original gelatin or hectographic plates, developed in the 1860s, were made from sheets of gelatin placed in a sheet pan. The plates were used to print ads, small quantities of newspapers, and by teachers to make copies for students. Though no longer used commercially, the gelli plate has become a great artist's tool.

Gelli Arts is one company that make gel printing plates


 It's every person's printing plate and easy to use. All you have to do is spread a small amount of acrylic paint across the plate with a brayer, scratch some designs or lay stencils on top, and then press a sheet of paper down, and pull the paper when you are done. After the first sheet is pulled, you can lay another piece of paper on the plate and pull a ghost print. Once your printed sheets are dry, you can continue to layer designs and create unique pieces.


Original print on the left with the feather acting as a stencil.
After lifting off the feather from the plate, I made the ghost print on the right.
Look at the fine detail of the feather, almost like a photograph, that is picked up by the ghost print.



While the leaf impressions on the sidewalk disappear after the pavement dries, the prints I make are a permanent record of experimentation. Ghost prints give me the chance to create something beyond my original idea.

The original print is on the bottom. The ghost print is on top.


I made a series of prints using the feather and circles as design elements. I didn't really like any of them by themselves, but when I combined them together, they became a much more interesting design using repeat patterns and colors to express construction and destruction.






YouTube has some good examples of hectograph printing. Once you go to this site you will see many other options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUGf19571vI

Check out the library at University of Iowa, good resource for hectography:
https://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/speccoll/2013/07/16/what-the-hectograph/

6 comments:

  1. Love the feather and feather ghost print. Love how well you explain your art. Makes me think that there is even hope for me someday!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tena. The prints really bring out the minute details of the feathers. Great fun to catch that in a print.

      Delete
  2. I love Friday Art with you, my clever friend!!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. Want to try making prints on a gel plate sometime?

      Delete
  3. Martha, you are an amazing artist and teacher! I love reading your Postcards in the Air! Thank you, from Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mona, your comments mean so much, coming from another teacher and writer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.