Friday, November 16, 2018

GRATITUDE: SMALL AND LARGE





What is your favorite holiday?

Thanksgiving is definitely mine. I've always loved autumn for its light and shadows, for leaves turning color and falling in swirls to the ground, and for the expectation of winter around the corner. But Thanksgiving adds one more note to the day:  Gratitude for the year behind us.

Even after a tumultuous time for our country and for the world as well, I can still list acts by people who put others ahead of themselves. I begin my list with a quirky event that confirms that small actions can make a difference.

Thank you 

To the Tilden Park rangers who closed a road in the park during the annual newt migration.



California Newt by Martha Slavin


To the scientists who have discovered that life can develop even two miles below the surface of the earth. Worms the size of a human hair exist deep in the soil without sun, sustained by water and minerals in the earth.

To wildlife conservationists for their work to increase the number of  whooping cranes, whose numbers were as low as 14 and now number in the 700s. For their efforts to save bald eagles, bisons, wolves and other less glamorous species such as snakes, snails, and mussels, who are repopulating in areas where previously we have tried to wipe them out.



Crane by Martha Slavin


To the people who rescue animals during fire storms or hurricanes and then work to find their owners, sometimes long after the event.

To all the helpers, our first responders, fire fighters, police officers, and military personnel, no matter what the weather or terrifying conditions, who put themselves in danger to help others. 

We all owe you more than gratitude.

Feather by Martha Slavin




To read more about life below the earth's surface:
To read more about endangered species:

11 comments:

  1. Thank you Martha. Your words today brought tears to my eyes. I am so grateful that you are a positive force in the world and a reminder that there is GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally figured out a work-around to reply to comments again. I'm so glad you continue to read my blog and send encouragements!

      Delete
  2. It was nice to finally meet you + the person behind a very special, personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments about my posts. I've finally figured out a work-around to reply easily. Sometimes websites can be frustrating!

      Delete
  3. At least I got to be with you today through your wonderful and uplifting blog. Nature Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopeful words and images for a sad and smoky day, Martha. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm late in replying, but thanks for your hearts! Jacki. I just figured out a better way to reply on a different computer so I can publish replies again on this page.

      Delete
  6. Love this...the words and the sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Chandra. I appreciate your response to my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.