Friday, October 26, 2018

NEW STEPS FORWARD


Watercolor cut and assembled as a mixed media piece


Can you draw? So many people I know tell me they can't draw. I know that is not true. Like learning how to do math problems or how to build a bridge, drawing is a skill that is developed over time. If you look at my early artwork, you would wonder why I persisted. They were no better than yours. I had one advantage. Everyone knew I came from an artistic family. They expected me to be an artist. My family encouraged me to develop my creative and artistic skills as well.

Early painting with an attempt at calligraphy


I have to remind myself of my belief in everyone's ability to draw when I get stuck at a level in any artistic technique including watercolor or writing poetry. I persist, which has taken me a long time to learn. When I was young, I knew I was an artist (hadn't everyone told me so?) and thought everything artistic would come easily for me. When something turned out to be harder than I expected (ceramics comes to mind), I put the learning aside. As an adult, I find learning takes me longer, but I'm more forgiving of myself.

Right now I am at a point in my watercolor pursuit where parts of my paintings work well. They have the fresh appeal that you expect from watercolor, not the muddiness that often happens when I overwork an area. I look to Winslow Homer or Andres Zorn for masterful watercolors. Sometimes I can rescue a practice piece (all my paintings are practice pieces) or sometimes I cut them up into little squares and mix them up on another piece of paper.


Cabins and trees are a frequent theme of mine. This painting is resting right now.


A myth about watercolors:  they can't be fixed. Yes, they can. I learned to use original Viva paper towels, a drafting eraser shield, and the original Mr. Clean sponge to help me lift off paint from the paper. I wet either the towel or sponge and dab through the shield over an area I want to lift up. It works except with heavily staining colors such as alizarin crimson and Winsor Violet. Try it!




4 comments:

  1. Inspiring, Martha! Fun to see your growth as an artist and your ability to be patient with yourself. One of the distinct advantages to growing older! And your "resting" painting is exquisitely restful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. I so much appreciate your comments. And right now, restful feels real good. Hope you had a good holiday, but can also find those moments of rest.

      Delete
  2. One day...there will be time for me to learn and practice art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You already practice art with your photography, Chandra. Keep on going! Thanks for your comments about my post.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.