Friday, July 15, 2016

PAINTING, NO JUDGMENT







A good friend and I sit in the shade of her backyard, which blooms with flowers, fruit, and her mosaics on the fences. Color is everywhere: the clay fish in the simple bubbling fountain, the shards of glass pushed between the stepping stones of the paths that wander through her yard, the bright red apples and deep purple plums hanging in the trees, and the ceramic frogs and lizards near her hammock. My friend, a painter, is most at home in Monet's garden in Giverny in France, and she brought the flood of color of that garden to her backyard.

Her two dogs push toys at us, waiting for a foot to kick the toy far enough for them to scamper after. When we don't respond, they explore the garden. Piper, a Jack Russell terrier, brings back a green apple with teeth marks on it. She hopes this offering will interest us.

We set out watercolors and paper on the table and pursue "Painting, No Judgment," as my friend calls it. We relax into our efforts. She quickly splashes reds and magentas on her page while I lightly wash my paper with the soft colors of succulents.  


Garden photos by Christy Myers
           


When we've had enough, we get up, stretch, and walk around the table. I  say, "I started to put too much dark...."

She calls, "Shush, no judgment," and whispers, "Oh" and "Ahh," as she walks around the table (though that is a judgment too).

"Shall we start writing now?" I ask, feeling free of any negative thoughts and open to what follows "Painting, No Judgment."


6 comments:

  1. PLUMS? Split Complimentary colors? Lovely. Makes me want to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plums using off-true red and off-true green. Thanks Jan, you are a peach!

      Delete
  2. Your afternoon with your friend sounds like time well spent. I loved your description of the relaxing and enjoyable events. Judgement seems to be a part of our everyday lives, it’s so hard not judge based on our values and who we are. Any insights???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a difficult question and I don't have a good answer other than paying attention and catching myself when I find myself judging myself or someone else. Thanks for your comments, Mary.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Elizabeth. The idea of Painting, No Judgment is a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from readers. I answer each one.

I do not post Anonymous comments because of problems with spammers.